You are not logged in.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 8:22am

Inline vs. Anti Siphon

Long time no chat. Well, I'm back ;)

As you may all remember, I installed a system myself in June/July. I have a PVB, inline valves, and the 2 valve boxes. 5 zone system, expandable to 6 zones if needed.

Next year I'm thinking of "re-doing" the valves/backflow area, as groundhogs and moles keep digging into the box, and around it, and chew on the wiring, and just make it a plain mess. We've always had a problem with these animals.

If I install Anti Siphon valves properly above ground (out of mole and groundhog reach), do I still need a PVB :?:
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 11:42am

The answer to your question will be location-specific, because the NJ code allows for municipalities to raise the bar on backflow protection. Some towns have looked backwards at their unsavory past records of pretending that an atmospheric vacuum breaker, under pressure 24/7, installed at a lower elevation than the sprinkler heads, was functioning backflow protection. These towns have overreacted and prohibited the use of AVBs and ASVs, despite their being approved devices under the code.

It would be far more practical to rework your existing valve boxes, and give them a base of heavy hardware cloth to keep out rodents.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 4:19pm

Wow. Thats surprising considering the fact that they sell ASVs at HomeDepot, Lowe's, and even irrigation warehouses near me even though no-one can use them. My neighbors just had ASVs installed without a PVB, and that was done by an irrigation company. Some of the older systems still have ASVs or just inline valves with no backflow protection at all.

I will try again with boxes. The rodents kept pushing them up was my problem, which made a mess and broke the PVC manifold due to weight shift.

What if I was to use the ASVs and the PVB since I have the PVB already :?: I mainly want to get the wiring and the valves out of the ground because of the animals around here. Not to mention that side of the lawn floods all the time, which makes the boxes move constantly.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, November 27th 2011, 5:52pm

Why not just use what you have? Keep the PVB (raise it if you must) and build the manifold above-ground, with the flow pointing downward.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, November 28th 2011, 11:58am

I would love to use what I have because I really don't want to shell out more money for the system. But the "rodents" pretty much destroyed the wire right down to the solenoid. They are chewed bare, and 1 or 2 valves are malfunctioning anyway due to a recent lightning storm surge.

Pretty much figured I should ditch the old ones and get newer ones that fit the need.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 28th 2011, 3:51pm

Find out what local code is. You may need that PVB. In any event, solenoids cost less than new valves.

Rate this thread