You are not logged in.

Kunk35

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 8:23am

Old system, need to upgrade

I've got a very old 12 station Richdel controller for my sprinkler system that I need to upgrade. Really, I need to upgrade a lot more than just the controller. The system works as is, although I need to replace some very leaky sprinkler heads, which I've been working on over the years when one gets bad.

Is there a sprinkler system 101 source where I can learn how this old system compares to the new systems? Searching the forum is a good tool, but I need some overall basic knowledge before much of what I'm reading here makes sense.

I notice that there is wiring that comes with the new systems, which my unit does not use. It seems everything about mine is water driven with no power hookups other than the main box. I'm wondering if I should just continue to use mine, or start switching out valves and the control box. As you can tell, I know very little about these systems, but I am handy enough to switch components out myself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 9:41am

Nothing is very wrong about a Richdel R412 controller that still works today.

Kunk35

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 12:49pm

So , "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies here?

Should I bother with changing out the valves?

Kory

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 4:04pm

If you have Richdel valves, you don't replace them. Your grandchildren will be able to repair them.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 6:55pm

those richdels are hardie ass controllers.. we have a ton in service still plugin along.

They don't offer the features that controllers do nowadays but for a 1/3 acre or less size lot, they do just fine

mrfixit

Monday, April 18th 2011, 3:28pm

Just out of curiosity. Is that Richdel R412 controller hydraulic? The guy asking the question's talking about a hydraulic system. If I was him I'd convert to electric.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 12:38pm

Absent photos, I think the OP has a standard system, and may have misspoken. Hydraulic systems are almost always Toro, both valves and controllers.

Kunk35

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 7:41pm

Actually, I just didn't know what I was talking about. Once I cracked open the case, I discovered it is electrical just like the newer ones. I am in process of uncovering all of the valves. The valve boxes have covered over with dirt over the years. Once I clean out the boxes, I'll know more if I need to bother with replacing or not. I'm beginning to agree that I may not have to bother. Just repair the sprinkler heads as needed.

Is there a generic diagram of sprinkler systems with all the different components?

Kory

Rate this thread