You are not logged in.

mgpaulus

Starting Member

Monday, July 25th 2005, 5:43am

Replacements for RB Mini-paw heads

My yard is a rectangular/trapezoidal shape, currently serviced by 4 LG-3 and 1 MG-4 head. Sometime after I installed the system, I had a rock border put in around the lawn, and these rocks get into the cans, as well as shrubbery debris.

Because of this, and the noise issue, and I'm looking for a bit more efficiency, I was thinking of replacing these with either Hunter PGP/I-20s or Rainbird 5000+.

I have read here that others feel that the RainCurtain nozzle is a better nozzle, but the Hunters have better reliability. How much more reliability? (How many more repairs per year, or how more often do heads need to be repaired/serviced/replaced?)

Also, do the maxi-paw "in Can" replacement heads fit into the mini-paw cans, and are they a good idea, or would it be better to replace the entire assembly. When I installed this system, the shop I bought from gave me 1" poly, saddles with 1/2" mounts, and 6"-9" 1/2" straight risers, so no swing pipe, or funny pipe.

A couple of other notes about my yard. My soil is heavy clay, and I have a small "step" of about 2 feet in the middle. The back yard is south facing, and that step seems to have either some poor soil, or it's not getting the right amount of water, since it's always having problems. I'm thinking maybe the builder buried a bunch of crap right there, since I dug into it once, and found a bunch of gravel. One project I probably need to do is excavate that are and replace the soil. I just haven't wanted to do it.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks all....

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, July 25th 2005, 1:58pm

I would go ahead and go with the PGP heads. For the money, they are an excellent head, and have great reliability. The PGP head comes with a 2 year warranty, and the I-20 comes with a 5 year warranty. The I-20 is built a little bit more rugged, but the PGP is an excellent head and will hold up in even the toughest environment. The 5000 series from Rainbird is decent, and the rain curtain nozzles are nice, but I have come to trust the quality and customer service of the Hunter name.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread