You are not logged in.

newhomeowner

Unregistered

Monday, July 7th 2014, 10:43am

No idea how to turn on irrigation system

Help! I know this is probably a long shot here but I am hoping to get some help. We bought a new home in January and this is the first time we have ever had to use an irrigation system. The previous owners left us no instruction as to how to turn everything on. I have no idea where to even start.

It looks as though there are a bunch of different brands used for the system. The boxes that house what I would assume are the control valves are green and say Orbit. The sprinkler head themselves say Rain Bird, and the timer which is located on the outside of the house says Toro. There is one box that has control valves that has wires attached to them at the back of the house, and then one box at the front that has different valves in it and no wires.

Like I said, I know this is a long shot but I am hoping that someone can at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 7th 2014, 12:39pm

Start by looking for the valve that supplies water for the entire system. They are often located near the water meter.

newhomeowner

Unregistered

Monday, July 7th 2014, 1:19pm

Would this be a box with a bunch of valves? Or just a little circular "box" with a lever? I would assume that would be the water shut off near the water meter? I wasn't sure if that was just for the outside of the house or if that would shut the water off inside too?

irrigirl

Unregistered

Monday, July 7th 2014, 4:32pm

system

Should be one for outside and one for house. Just try the circular box first. Otherwise you can try calling your water company to see where they normally install or if they know where it is.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 7th 2014, 5:16pm

It helps if we know your location. Homes in colder climates often have water meters in basements, with the sprinkler system connection located nearby. Warmer climates might have the water meter in a box near the street, so a different layout would apply.

Rate this thread