You are not logged in.

Tony O

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 3:58am

FE850 DCA backflow install

Can anyone help tell me the best way to install a FE850-100 Febco Double Check Assembly? I purchased this due to the hills I have and the inability to put the backflow at the highest point. However, I need to locate the assembly outside versus in a basement. The directions say that it should not be located where it could freeze. I am in Maryland where the winters do get below freezing. If I drain it (winterize it) is that enough or is it mainly to prevent the rubber inside from failing due to the cold and not necessarily due to the water freezing? What are my options? Should I install it where I could remove it every winter as part of the winterization?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 18th 2008, 7:45am

I believe the purpose for their directions is to avoid damage to the unit due to water freezing.

From a maintainence standpoint, the easiest thing to do is install it with a pair of unions. Then as a part of the winterizing process, just remove the whole thing. That would also give you an input to winterize the rest of the system (i.e. get a 2nd union with what ever is needed to connect a compressor to the system).

I would think the biggest worry if you didn't remove the unit each year is if your shutoff valve ever devolpes the smallest of leaks, that water would eventually make it to the backflow, freeze (if it's in a freezing location) and damage the unit. Of course this would also make it easier to steal. But because it's a DC, you can bury it in a meter box where theives won't know you have a backflow that's easy to steal.