You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The first post

Monday, July 25th 2022, 11:59am

by RichH (Guest)

Should I upgrade heads from old Orbit to Hunter?

Orbit sprinkler heads, 37 pop ups and 13 rotors. They are all 17 years old. Should I expect to replace them by now or are they supposed to last this long? Seems like 20 years is asking a lot from $3 piece of plastic?

The pop ups in the front yard have rainbird nozzles and I have replaced a lot of nozzles from mowing damage or root clogs. Some of the popups don't retract. I spray them with silicone but this seems to be a losing battle. The nozzles clog and break. I have to adjust the aiming angle often.

The rotors are in three zones in backyard and they all seem to "work" but the grass is drying out even though I run them for half hour everyday in the hot weather but the grass still dies. There's a 4 foot diameter circle of green grass around the middle lawn rotors and all dry farther out. Some of the rotors' adjustment screws are jammed. I don't have nozzles to adjust them. But they still squirt water and turn.

I saw a utoob video said Hunter is a good brand so I found sprinklerwarehouse sells Hunter.

My plan is to replace popups with PRS-40 with MP200090 nozzles. My popup spacing is mostly 15 feet with a few gaps bigger than that. With the max throw of MP200090 being 20 feet I'm hoping to reach some of the dryer areas that regular nozzles can't reach. I understand they will run longer than regular nozzles.
Replace the rotors with PGP Ultra, then use measuring cups to balance them in each zone and between zones. I think my rotors in the middle of the lawn need to spray a lot more volume than they are now.

It's gonna cost me about $700 and a bit of labor to replace all the heads so I just want to get some opinion from you guys if I am heading in the right direction by replacing the old with new Hunter. Or should I just clean out the old ones, get new nozzles and replace the broken rotors with new Orbits and be done for $100.

Thanks
Rich