You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 4642 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 6:33pm

by Wet_Boots

You can shut off and/or cap heads to check for leaks, but these poppet failures usually don't leak enough water to kill a zone. If heads aren't working, it won't be the fault of poppets.

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 4:26pm

by Irishmike

I checked the flow control - fine

No water splashes out upon shut off.

I will try to ensure poppet is properly centreed, otherwise I guess I will have to expose to line and check for leaks.

Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 9:16am

by Wet_Boots

Make absolutely certain you have the poppets properly centered before the cover is replaced. Unfortunately, their stems are going to be too short to make this a no-brainer.

Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 7:11am

by Mitchgo

A break in the line would cause this too/ and or the flow control on the valve is set too low

After the zone shuts off you are supposed to see a splash of water come out of these valves

Monday, August 8th 2011, 11:03pm

by Irishmike

Bad news!
I replaced all 3 poppets and valve cover.
Now water flows in a steady spray at zones 1 and 2.
Zone 3 - it still gushes out.
Any ideas?
Mike

Monday, August 8th 2011, 12:17am

by Irishmike

Thanks to all of you for your advice/expertise.
I will get some new poppets and will let you know.
Thanks again!

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 4:17pm

by Wet_Boots

anyone installing Richdel antisyphon valves will eventually carry an inventory of those poppets (washer not available separately) - if you have to special-order them, they are still plenty cheap compared to whole valves.

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 2:55pm

by mrfixit

This doesn't have anything to do with the diaphragm. It's the rubber washer on the float/poppit. It's either damaged or missing. Unscrew the cap where the water's gushing out. You'll see a white float. Look at the washer.

You might be able to get a new washer at an Irrigation supply house or replace the whole thing like Boots suggested. You could just buy a whole new valve and harvest parts for all three valves.

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 9:21pm

by Wet_Boots

replace the vacuum-breaker poppets, every one of them - they are a wear part

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 7:55pm

by seansy59

If you cleaned the solenoid, the diaphram and cleaned the anti-siphon area where the water is flowing out (under the cap), then I am at a loss. :|

If it were me, a 19 yr. old valve I would just replace. Because the smallest things that we often overlook will wear out overtime. But that's just me. :D

See if the other pro's will chime in. Im not a "pro", but I know ALOT about sprinklers since I researched for a year on everything I could to put my own system in. Sorry I couldn't help ya! :(