You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 4505 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Friday, December 16th 2011, 12:26am

by moomelman

Lawn belt

Hi - could help but comment on this as its just miss- information about Lawnbelt. Ive been very happy with it and rave about it to all my neighbors who also use it. I believe people who have commented on this thread are just not understanding the system because they have either not installed it or don't like plastic.

The people at Lawnbelt have a 5 year guarantee on the conduit - Im already past the waranty and have not had any issues. PVC or Polypipe does not have such a warranty. This is because this Lawnbelts plastic contains properties that allow it to bend and expand (even if some water freezes inside of it) .

I also think one of the main advantages of Lawnbelt is the autodrain and the U fitting. This allows it to drain out each time. With a polypipe system water will need to be blown out. I never blow out the system and
live in Canada where winters are extreme.

"I know someone who had LawnBelt, and said
it was great for half a year, until he started breaking pipe just by
aerating his lawn and kids "playing" over it. Since its only 1" (if
lucky) below the top, footsteps hit the pipe causing pressure over them
too."

The people over at Lawnbelt suggested to use risers so your machine wont pucture it. Soif you aerate your lawn you need to go a bit deeper and then provide 2-3" risers from the U fitting. When I did my system I
just stayed to perimeter to keep it out of the way. Also children playing on top of it...wont break the sprinkler. I have a family of rugrats and they jump on the lawn all the time.

For the current price it costs with just basic spray heads, no safety
vacuum breaker to prevent "crap" from flowing back into the water
supply, and pipe thats gonna break in less than a year, you can get a
pretty good (semi-proffesional) system for the same price, maybe a
little less, and have it last for many years.

I added a backflow preventer attached to my spigot ($8) to eliminate back flow. Also its true the price of Lawnbelt is more expensive then PVC or Polypipe per foot - bit its extremely easy to put in - worth the price
IMO.

One other note Lawnbelt also uses all types of sprinklerheads and also they are not proprietary. So even conventional heads will work. I chose to customize it using Rainbird sa 32's.

Anyways hope this helps out!

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 3:49pm

by seansy59

I know this post is VINTAGE! And reallllyyy old, but I would like to add something for anyone who reads this.

I know someone who had LawnBelt, and said it was great for half a year, until he started breaking pipe just by aerating his lawn and kids "playing" over it. Since its only 1" (if lucky) below the top, footsteps hit the pipe causing pressure over them too.

For the current price it costs with just basic spray heads, no safety vacuum breaker to prevent "crap" from flowing back into the water supply, and pipe thats gonna break in less than a year, you can get a pretty good (semi-proffesional) system for the same price, maybe a little less, and have it last for many years.

If you don't want to go through having a valve box, and timer/wiring, having to connect to a mainline and everything, you can do it easier.

Get regular 3/4" poly pipe, however much you need, and some fittings needed for the connections and poly clamps. Rolls are about $20 for 100ft at HD. Fittings about $0.50 a piece.

Hose bib vacuum breaker- $5

Sprinkler rotors. $10 each for some Orbit Voyager II. Still will outlast LawnBelt, although for heads I recommend Hunter PGP's.

Bury piping at least 6" deep to protect it from feet and tools. You can connect the poly pipe right up to the hosebib and vacuum breaker with a little "fitting play", to have a nice easy connection. Use a Y splitter so you can keep you garden hose. You can add more zones by adding a larger splitter (4 outlet?), and repeating the steps above. Even add a hose timer for automatic watering. Make sure you have a vacuum breaker on the hose bib though! This is for your own protection. This is really the only "dangerous" part of irrigation.

Pretty much, this will be a regular system without buried valve manifolds and having to access your mainline and everything. This just connects to the hose. At the end of the year, blow em' out, and ya good! :)

Still about the same $ as LB, and better quality.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 1:00pm

by HooKooDooKu

Hmmm, so lets try to score this...

4 users with a combined total of over 1,400 posts have negative things to say about the system.

2 users with a combined total of only 3 posts (including the 2 listed here) have positive things to say.

And for those wondering how it could possibly claim to be maintenance free, the heads have drains to empty the water out of the system. But of course the issue of reliably using drains has been discussed in this and other irrigation forums (and I believe the general consensus is they are a waste) and the concept is fundamentally flawed with this system if your low spot is between two heads.

Tuesday, October 24th 2006, 9:55am

by erikzett

Soldier, I too have had great results with the lawnbelt product. I have it in my front yard (4 years now), in back is conventional- which is failing now due to my cold climate so I will be switching all to it. Not sure why WetBoots thinks dog poop is maintenance free, I have a dog and am constantly scooping.

Friday, October 6th 2006, 1:20pm

by Wet_Boots

Dog poop is also maintenance-free, but I wouldn't pay good money for it, either.

Friday, October 6th 2006, 9:18am

by Soldier

Why do people give advice when they are not informed on the topic? I have the lawnbelt system installed and it is great. Maintenance free, as advertised!!

Thursday, April 13th 2006, 4:22pm

by RidgeRun05

Yes, I have had experience with this "system", if you can even call it that. It is cheap cheap garbage and I wouldn't install it in a landfill. You are much better off spending the money on a "real" sprinkler system

Monday, March 20th 2006, 6:11pm

by lush96

remember that any pipe can freeze. there claims are wrong. you still need to winterize and get water out of your pipes and heads. pete is right by saying that it seems the pipes are only buried by like an inch or so. sounds cheezy to me. go with a reliable lawn sprinkler design. and always remember........nothing is maitenence free in this world.

Tuesday, April 6th 2004, 6:29am

by drpete3

Interesting design. The one problem that I see is the pipe is almost the same height as the top of the head and it would be barely covered with dirt.

Monday, April 5th 2004, 7:32pm

by Duane

Lawn belt

Has anyone any experience with this type of sprinkler system?
http://www.lawnbelt.com/what.html