You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 24.

Saturday, June 20th 2020, 1:22pm

Author: illinoisjim

Raising rotors with riser extension?

The sprinkler was a couple inches below the surface. When I dug it up I discovered it was right next to the zone line with a blazing saddle and minimal tube between blazing saddle and right angle fitting on the rotor. Fittings were within 1/2" of each other inside the tube. I couldn't raise the sprinkler without putting a serious bend on the blazing saddle which caused it to leak. So I dug out a few feet of the zone line and packed some dirt under it to raise it slightly. I suppose I could have ...

Saturday, June 20th 2020, 8:00am

Plastic threaded fittings shrinking until they pop out...

Have a pump with threaded inlet and outlet. Cast iron housing I think - some sort of steel. A few years ago I had the PVCinlet thread creep over time until it popped out. It had some side force on it from the weight of the pipe so put a support a couple feet from the pump on inlet and outlet. Just had the poly pipe insert fitting on the output do the same thing. I could use a steel fitting on the output and could use galvanized on the input too. Is the cast iron rust scale in the threads pushing...

Wednesday, June 17th 2020, 8:24am

Raising rotors with riser extension?

Have several rotors that are an inch or two low that I need to raise. I dug one up and discovered the line to the main line was about 2" long and didn't provide much flex. I was able to raise the main line a bit and get it raised by compacting some soil under the main line and sprinkler but then saw there are riser extensions that can be added without digging to the bottom. My question is this - if I remove the enough soil to get to the top of the rotor and carefully unscrew the whole assembly, ...

Monday, June 15th 2020, 12:27pm

Leaking rotors

I have some Hunter I-20 and some Rainbird 5000 - installed at different times on different zones. The I-20s have been in about 12 years, the oldest, and are leaking around the riser seal (guess that's the right term). I was adjusting the right stop location on one and had to dig around the top to pull it from the housing and turn it. I ran it before putting the dirt back and saw a good sized leak shooting up and out about a foot. I run water from a pump and have a little sediment in it. I have a...

Wednesday, June 10th 2020, 9:23pm

Adding booster pump to increase pressure/flow?

I have a sprinkler system that was originally run off the domestic water (city) supply. Now running it from a 1 Hp jet pump. Pump is located about 80 ft elevation below the irrigation area and performance is marginal. Get about 35 - 40 PSI at the inlet to the irrigation system which is at the same level as the heads. Would like to boost that about 20 PSI to be more like the performance off the city main. Seems like a booster pump at the inlet to the sprinkler system would be best and I have powe...

Sunday, May 3rd 2020, 7:27am

Valves leaking until I get more pressure, can't because they are leaking...

System is about 12 years old. I have been having more and more trouble with leaking valves each year, at least that seems to be the issue. Started as trouble with blowout. I am using a small compressor and have trouble getting enough pressure to blow out the zones. Wasn't a problem when the system was new. Usually run my system off a pump and starting to have trouble with it too. Seems to be an issue with limited pressure/flow. Once I can get the pressure up things work normally. But I suspect t...

Sunday, November 3rd 2019, 6:25pm

valves leak when blowing out system but work ok with water

I increased the size of the hose from the compressor tank to the RPZ valve and am getting much better results. Apparently the valves need a certain amount of pressure to shut off and the effect gets worse as things get older and have more use. Just a guess.

Sunday, November 3rd 2019, 1:11pm

valves leak when blowing out system but work ok with water

System works ok with water but when I went to blow it out this year heads popped up for zones that weren't selected. I am using a small compressor with a pressure tank and wait 2 minutes between zones for the compressor to recharge the tank. But this year I can't get the selected zones to blow out because of the other zones leaking. The system is about 15 years old and I have replaced a few things over the years but otherwise was working ok. Does it take higher pressure for the valves to shut of...

Tuesday, May 21st 2019, 9:02am

Rainbird valve turns on with vent screw but not electrically - even with new solenoid

Replaced the diaphragm and still didn't work. No voltage on solenoid - output channel of controller is bad. Checked this earlier and thought it was ok but perhaps I missed something... Now wondering how it happened. Perhaps there is an intermittent short in the old solenoid? Is that a possible way for them to fail? It seems unlikely and it draws typical amount of current (but it was replaced). System is working (switched that zone to another zone output) but want to understand what happened and ...

Wednesday, May 8th 2019, 8:02pm

larger/better filter for stream pumping

Thanks! I put a 60 screen on the inlet strainer and things are greatly improved. I have cleaned out the 100 screen a couple times and it only had much on it once. Still didn't seem to be enough to decrease the flow noticeably.

Tuesday, May 7th 2019, 10:03pm

Rainbird valve turns on with vent screw but not electrically - even with new solenoid

One of my valves stopped working. I checked electrically and everything looked good - zone was drawing the right amount of current same as other zones. The valved opened when the vent screw or solenoid was backed off. Thought it would be an easy fix and replaced the solenoid with a new one. It doesn't work. Is there anything in the valve that would allow it to open when manually activated with leak screw or loosening solenoid but not when solenoid is energized? Or is it likely a electrical issue...

Sunday, April 21st 2019, 12:55pm

Valve box 2/3 full of dirt!

Investigating a zone that stopped working. When I opened up the valve box is was about 2/3 full of dirt. I haven't had to mess with it for at least several years. It was a good sized rectangular box. I did notice that there were several sizable openings that I hadn't put anything over (some about 2" across). I didn't notice that the ground had sunk around the box. I checked another box nearby and I can see I put some sheets of heavy plastic across the unused holes (cut from a plastic bucket as I...

Friday, April 19th 2019, 9:07am

larger/better filter for stream pumping

I pump from a stream and have a small 100 mesh filter (Everbilt EBSPF-100). Problem is the filter isn't very big and the filter can be overwhelmed and plugged sometimes. Most of the time it works ok. Flushing using the bottom valves works ok but removing the screen and cleaning is more effective and complete. Last year I set up an intake basket with a sock filter over it (had a coarser screen there before) but it doesn't seem to be helping. Apparently the small sand and sediment can work past th...

Saturday, July 22nd 2017, 1:28pm

Leaking rotors

They get stuck halfway up. There is a designed in flush of the arc adjustment screw area as it comes up and this flush is where most of the excess water is going. It doesn't look like seal leakage, at least not after it is up.

Friday, July 21st 2017, 11:10pm

Leaking rotors

Pump from a pond. The other zones work fine although I should probably put in lower flow nozzles - the pump is about at it's limit for flow at decent pressure. I see the literature that the 5000 has triple seals but I really question how much better they are. Maybe they are worn out. The Hunter I20 rotors that have been in longer and get used more than the 5000s don't have leakage anything close to what the 5000 do. They leak quite a bit until they pop up all the way - I can see it coming out ar...

Friday, July 21st 2017, 6:40pm

Leaking rotors

Have Rainbird 5000 rotors that aren't always popping up all the way. This is on a pump and if they don't pop up the extra flow from leaks gives about 35 psi as the main line. If they pop up I get about 40 PSI. I can get them all to pop up by pressing in one rotor with my foot or running another zone with less flow first. I could put in smaller nozzles... or do I need to replace seals? Or do I have to replace the whole thing to get new seals?

Tuesday, October 11th 2016, 6:41am

Replacing jet help

They said remove the old one with channel lock pliers (damages it but normally don't remove unless replacing anyway) and put the new one in hand tight. Took quite a bit of work to get the threads cleaned up enough to get the new one in...

Monday, October 10th 2016, 6:15am

Replacing jet help

Putting a high pressure jet in a 8500 series AYMcDonald pump. Couldn't get the old one out without breaking it (plastic) which, from what I have read, isn't that unusual. Now need to put in the new one. Housing is cast iron so will clean out the threads with a wire brush, etc. My biggest question is how to get it in tight. There are 2 small keys on the sides of the body but they are so far down and with it in the pump body it is nearly impossible to get anything on them and I am worried I am goi...

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 9:27am

Rapidly repeating banging/water hammer

About 2 months ago I started having noise issues with a system that has been in about 5 years. I get a banging that repeats several times a second. It sometimes only bangs a few times and other times it goes on for much longer - 2 to 10 seconds is not uncommon. I have an expansion tank before the water heater but it is not very close to the mainline entrance to the house where the noise is loudest. It happens at random times. Sometimes it starts when a valve (either sprinkler or hand operated fa...

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 7:58am

Manual control for hose watering?

I have a small creek that I want to pump from. Before anyone asks - yes, I have checked and am allowed to pump. It is about 80' elevation below my yard. There isn't enough flow for a regular sprinkler system for the parts of the year when it is really needed so I want to put in a small pump for drip irrigation and manual hose watering. I am comfortable wiring up the pump and pump relay, etc. What I am wondering about is the best way to make this easy to operate and hard to damage by others in th...