You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2007, 2:03pm

Author: malibu jim

Best rotors

Having had a little experience installing sprinkler systems, I voluntered to help a buddy of mine do his yard. His house is atop a knoll in town and the water co. has a pump house at the bottom of the knoll for the 10 or so residences located on the hill. A check of his pressure and flow with my Toro guage shows 50 psi with 7gpm. This will undoubtedly require several valves for his 120'x65' backyard. He has 4 MiniPaw heads (new), so it looks like using them and MaxiPaws is our best bet for this....

Friday, March 16th 2007, 5:36pm

PVC primer

I hate to beat a dead horse, but in my opinion, the primer is really an acid etch, used to break the glaze on PVC so the glue can adhere to the surfaces. If you ever got any on an open cut, you'll know it's acid.

Friday, September 22nd 2006, 5:53pm

90 degree electrical pipe

I don't know if this has ever been discussed, what do you think of using sched 40 elect conduit on corners ? I know it's more expensive, 1 elbow and 2 connectors vs. 1 elbow. Would seem it would take a lot of friction out of the system. What is the difference between the white sched 40 used for sprinklers and the gray sched 40 used for elect conduit ?

Tuesday, November 22nd 2005, 2:22pm

bidding

In No. California, a lot of residential sprinkler jobs are bid by the valve. Maybe 2 valves for the front lawn and 2 valves for the back lawn, plus 2 valves for the perimeter flower beds. This will include everything, including wiring and installation of controller. At $650/valve, this would be $3900.

Friday, November 18th 2005, 8:39am

bidding

Unfortunatly I think you'll get a lot of different answers to this. Are we talking about Mississippi or California? I'd guess the going rate in Ca. will double the rate in Miss. Also, different parts of Ca. will vary.....Newport Beach or Stockton. Then there are your reputable installers and the not-so-reputable, that underbid the former. We've seen the results of that in this forum! In Ca. I've never seen anything other than sched 40 pvc used, lately.

Thursday, November 17th 2005, 5:43pm

Supply Line

An old friend hired someone to renovate his front and back lawn with new sod, install front and back sprinklers and do some cement work. I guess the guy screwed up the cement so bad that he was asked to leave. The cement work has been completed by someone else. The 1st installer started to run pvc pipes for the sprinklers, but I really can't figure out, what kind of plan he had. Anyway, I plan on tapping into the service line (1") in the front lawn, and running it to the back, under a sidewalk, ...

Saturday, October 29th 2005, 9:24am

Closed Circuit

What is the result of looping? Does it help equalize the pressure?

Friday, October 28th 2005, 5:02pm

Closed Circuit

I am redoing a line in our back yard that runs thru perimeter flower beds and removing a few spray heads to install quite a few Rain Drip hydro ports for a drip system. Since this system encircles most of our yard (not a real big yard) I was worried about loosing pressure at the end of the run and wondered what would happen if I T'd the line out of the valve and made a complete loop around the yard, Would this help at all, even though the supply is goverened by the flow through the valve? I've n...

Saturday, July 9th 2005, 3:27pm

Correct size sched 40

There's about 12-15 ft under the driveway and wall.

Friday, July 8th 2005, 11:08pm

Correct size sched 40

I have installed a couple small sprinkler systems with no resulting problems. Now a neighbor has asked me to help him with a good sized job at his house. He has 100 psi on city water (haven't measured flow yet), with a 1" T off the line from the meter. Unfortunately, he had workers building a retaining wall, and paving the driveway run a 3/4" PVC line under them (would have been nice to have 1"). Since we are going to lay about 120' of line on the other side of the driveway and retaining wall to...

Tuesday, June 21st 2005, 10:21am

Rainbird U-series Nozzle

I haven't seen any comments on the U-series nozzles from rainbird (the ones with the double orifices ). I just put a couple in my front lawn where I didn't have overlapping coverage, and they seemed to work great. I realize that if I had the overlap I probably wouldn't need them, but this system was installed 20 years ago, and needs to be redone. In the meantime, this seems to have fixed the bare spots in front of the heads.