You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-10 of 10.

Saturday, September 24th 2005, 8:13am

Author: fcmcommw

Novice DIY'er

Needalittlehelp, Did you take a pressure reading and test the GPM? I would also make sure that you calculate the flow of each head that you have on that particular zone to make sure that you don't have more heads then your water can handle. Another note is not to ever mix different heads with different flow rates on the same zone. Also remember that friction is added to everything water is added to. So for example you have a 50 foot hose testing the zone where the valve would be the hose is addi...

Thursday, September 22nd 2005, 5:25am

New to SprinklerTalk, looking for info on a system

Thanks for everyones help regarding my post. I hope others have learned something as well. I'm ready to start my project. I will start measuring this weekend and taking the appropriate pressure readings using a Toro pressure reader. I have also called the water company to get what they think the pressure is. I will obiviously compare the two. I will take before and after pictures of my yard and my project at each stage. When the project is complete I will post a link so everyone will be able to ...

Tuesday, September 20th 2005, 12:38pm

Automatic Drain Valve

dadgaume, I also wanted to mention that right before you install the heads make sure that you FLUSH, FLUSH, and then FLUSH your system. You want to open all the manifolds and let the water come gushing out of the risers until you think that the system has been cleared of any sand, gravel, or anything that might have gotten in there. If you don't there is a chance that your sprinkler will stay on due to sand caught in the maniold. This can happen and can be avoided by doing a simple flush. I know...

Tuesday, September 20th 2005, 12:31pm

Automatic Drain Valve

dadgaume, One thing to remember is that when you install automatic drain valves the water will drain out of the entire system everytime the water is shut off. You need to make sure that the area were the drains are can handle all of this excess water. From what I have read some people make sure the system drains into a ditch, well, or someplace they don't mind it being to wet. Also, this will increase your water usuage slightly since the entire system will have to fill up again prior to use. Wit...

Tuesday, September 20th 2005, 12:22pm

I have read that the main line that feeds the manifolds should be at leat 18" deep. The deeper the better actually especially in colder climate areas. Actually, any line that has contant pressure is considered a main. Manifolds are not going to sit that deep in the ground so how do I protect the main feeding the manifold? Or do I place a shutoff vavle in the basement on the main that feeds the manifolds and turn it off before the first frost. This way the main outside is empty of water before th...

Monday, September 19th 2005, 12:15pm

Thanks Wet Boots for the info. I have now read to I'm blue in the face. www.irrigationtutorials.com is a really good site. I'm going out and getting a pressure gauge to take the correct readings. Jess from irrigationtutorials doesn't recommend the bucket method that is why I used his chart for figuring out the flow only. I will also use the bucket method but since their is no resistance when filling up the bucket how do I equate for the correct flow. His site says just to use his chart along as ...

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 1:13pm

Thanks for link Wet Boots. I actually read all this recently. I saw one of your other posts and this link was really helpfull. I went downstairs and measured the pipe feeding the house and it measured at a one inch pipe. I also looked at the water meter to see what it said and it read 5/8, 3/4. Does this mean the water meter can accomodate both. I know that it is not uncommon(according to irrigationtutorials) for the meter to be one size smaller then the pipe so is it safe to say that my meter i...

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 11:35am

Also, I forgot one thing. Which is the best product to get? Since I'm installing this unit myself I don't mind spending extra on a really quality system. Thanks again, Mark

Sunday, September 18th 2005, 10:56am

Thanks for the info Tozar. This has been a great help. I'm starting my plan today. So after I "T" of the main water line I will have to run copper or 40 pvc to my valve manifolds. Are the valve manifolds what control each zone? I guess what I'm asking is if you have 6 zones then you must have 6 valve manifolds, one for each zone that will be handled by the controller. Is there a junction of some sort to get the water to each manifold. If you have one main line coming out then at some point it mu...

Saturday, September 17th 2005, 9:30am

Hi Everyone, I'll make this quick and hopefully I will get some responses. I would like to install a new sprinkler system in my front and back yard. I don't know where to start at all. I have been reading lots of posts and trying to learn what to do. I'm a very handy guy and have worked as a contractor on the side for siding, drywall, plumbing, etc. So I'm not completely helpless in that sense. I need help with a design, what system should I look at, how many zones, and where to place the zones....