You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-7 of 7.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 3:08pm

Author: big_gus

PVC Pipe Thread Suck!

I guess I chose to use threaded joints because I thought that these joints would help make the system more serviceable. I've Got Threaded Joints in the following locations: CONSTANT PRESSURE: 1) At the main take-off: 1" Mips Copper Adapter to 1/4 turn PVC Fips Ball Valve 2) At the exit of my Ball Valve 3) At both sides of my Basket Filter DOWN STREAM OF VALVES: 4) At every Sprinkler Riser 5) At the Pressure Regulators for the Drip Lines I've can replace the PVC 1/4 turn Shut-off valve with a Cop...

Wednesday, January 18th 2006, 5:55pm

PVC Pipe Thread Suck!

Does anyone have a fail safe method for assembling PVC pipe Threads! I've gone through 2 rolls of Teflon tape with no luck. All my 3/4" threaded joints work, but the 1" mainline joints always seem to leak... Here is what I've been doing: 1) Clean threads with dry cloth 2) Apply Teflon tape to thread at least 3 layers thick wrapping clockwise around the male threads applying tension to the tape to help it conform to the threads. 3) Assemble to finger tight 4) Turn 1.5 to 2.5 additional revolution...

Wednesday, January 18th 2006, 5:32pm

Lake Water Sprinker System

By extending your suction pipe and the decreased lake level you have decreased you total available pressure at your irrigation output two ways: 1) Depending on the diameter of your suction pipe and your flow rate, your additional pressure loss due to friction could be high. For example, if you are using 1" copper pipe at a flow rate of 10 gal/min, 100 ft of pipe would add an additional 3.7 psi of pressure loss. See this link for some great friction loss tables: http://www.irrigationtutorials.com...

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 1:18pm

filters

Not sure what your application is, but I'm using the rain bird QKCHK-100 with a 150 mesh filter. It was recommended to me by a guy at my local nursery. Check out this link: http://www.rainbird.com/pdf/drip/ts_BasketFilter.pdf I'm pressure limited and this product seemed to have low friction loss. Regards

Thursday, January 5th 2006, 12:24pm

Fertigation vs. Organic?

Thank you Guru, I've read on a few sites that using liquid organics in irrigation sometimes causes stuff to clog and that very small amounts of Chlorine gas can help clean out the system. Do you know anything about this? Is there a solid form of chlorine I can use (like for a pool)? Chlorine gas is very dangerous stuff and I'm not sure about the application. Do you know if this would adversely affect the lawn? I've read that 1ppm is safe for the municipal water systems but will this be enough to...

Wednesday, January 4th 2006, 2:25pm

Fertigation vs. Organic?

I just ripped out my lawn and now planting a new one as well as installing irrigation. I'd like to try to be as organic as possible, however, I live in So Cal and my soil is horrible. I had to fertilize quite a bit with the old lawn just to keep it green. I've excavated and added sand and compost in huge quantities over the last year... Given the new soil, do you think that it will be possible to keep a green lawn with just organic methods[?] Which Fertigation product is most efficient with the ...

Tuesday, January 3rd 2006, 8:05pm

Water hammer?

I'm just starting to design my first sprinkler system... I went over to a friends house the other day and he showed me a system he just installed a couple of months ago. He turned on and off some of the valves for me to show me his controller and I noticed a rumbling sound when the valves shut off. I didn't say anything, but I think that it was major water hammer. I looked at a couple sites and they said to avoid water hammer, the flow rate of the water through the pipes should be less than 7ft/...