You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

Tuesday, September 5th 2006, 10:04pm

Author: deyre

Master valve recommendation

Wet Boots: Thanks for input. The Irritrol looks ok, but the 150psi rating isnt much above my static pressure. I worry. I take your point about parts - are there any I should avoid because of this? Lush96: This is not for indoors. The only water line going into the house is _for_ the house, regulated at 60psi, and in nice copper piping which is probably rotting away in the concrete slab. Thanks for reminding me, I'll be losing sleep again I plan to put the master valve right after the backflow pr...

Friday, September 1st 2006, 9:08am

Master valve recommendation

Hi. I'm finally getting around to following up on previous recommendations of adding a master valve. I will be installing right after the backflow preventer. Its a 1.5inch line, pressure is 125psi, flow is up to 30gpm. I have an leaning towards a brass valve due to the high pressure and a desire for it to last as long as possible, though I could be convinced otherwise. Built in pressure regulation is probably a good idea so I can control the downstream pressure. The arrangement of the existing p...

Sunday, February 26th 2006, 1:31pm

Problem with Hunter ICV

Not ours. We're right next to the 3 houses which were models though. Also, the 2 houses on our other side (opposite side of shared access lane) apparently have the same odd arrangement.

Friday, February 24th 2006, 10:50am

Problem with Hunter ICV

Amusing observation... I disconnected a bunch of microsprinklers from zone13 and got the gpm down to 30. Figured I'd hook up the microsprinklers to the zone with only 2 heads. So I did that. Then went to the water meter to measure the flow rate. Sprinklers on. No flow. Finally realized that the house builder had decided that as the valve was right next to the neighbour's water meter he might as well hook up to their water. But our house was closer, so we get to control it. Very strange. I guess ...

Monday, February 20th 2006, 2:39pm

Problem with Hunter ICV

Back Again with an update (if anyone's interested Maybe someone will tell me if I'm being dumb anywhere here... I've been following Wet's recommendation of a long hard look at the system, particularly at balancing flow as the first step of fixing things - lets call this phase 1 of the project Conclusion is that most of the excessive flow rates are due to inappropriate replacement of heads... Zone 12: Flow rate is 45gpm. Original heads are Toro 570 with 12' half-circle nozzles - 1.09gpm @30psi, s...

Wednesday, February 15th 2006, 9:31am

Problem with Hunter ICV

Yes I 100% agree, its a screwed up system. If I knew 6 years ago how many problems I would have, it would have been replaced. I omitted to mention how several zones water both grass and flower beds. Regarding the slope, most of the property is level, with a short 45degree downslope at one end, and a short 45deg upslope at the other. The zones on both slopes are those not served by the PVB. I suspect the easiest fix for this is to move the valves to the top of the slope and use atmospheric backfl...

Tuesday, February 14th 2006, 2:21pm

Problem with Hunter ICV

Hi wetboots. Property is 1 acre, in southern california - no freezing. 16 zones. Zone gpm is (for zones 1 to 16) 0, 31, 14, 19, 30, 45, 18, 25, 56, 20, 0, 45, 75, 30, 30, 17. (zone 1 is disabled, zone 11 is only 2 heads so too low to bother measuring). Zones 11 thru 15 are fed direct from incoming water main - appears to be 1.25in pvc at first valve, 1" at others. Other zones are through PVB near house. Probably installed at different times. Main line to/from PVB is 1.5inch. Water meter is label...

Monday, February 13th 2006, 8:30am

Problem with Hunter ICV

Hi wetboots. Thanks for the suggestion of a master valve. I've toyed with that idea before, as it will also limit the effects of other failures. However, again I am limited by the existing design - the lines that run out to the valves (in a number of locations) also feed hose bibbs. I don't really want those to shut off with the master. I suppose though at some point I need to bite the bullet and "just do it right". Thanks!

Sunday, February 12th 2006, 11:37am

Problem with Hunter ICV

The diaphragm grease sounds like a good idea. Do you know where I can get this? I don't see it on sprinklerwarehouse. (I had thought about trying permatex as a last resort, probably a bad idea Thanks David

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 3:47pm

Problem with Hunter ICV

I agree there should be a regulator, and I may well end up fitting one. There are a couple of problems with doing this though. 12 zones, including the 2 with the new ICVs, are fed via a PVB and I can easily cut in and install a regulator here. Problem is that the whole system was built (long ago) using the high pressure, and if I regulate down to say 60psi I suspect many sprinklers will have inadequate range for full coverage. I may get away with reducing the pressure less than this, to say 100p...

Saturday, February 11th 2006, 1:43pm

Problem with Hunter ICV

Hi. I'm having trouble with 2 newly installed Hunter ICV valves. We have very high pressure - about 125psi. Previously on a different zone I went thru several consumer-grade valves before fitting the ICV which appeared to solve my problems. This time I installed the valves and found that both are weeping water from where the bonnet meets the body. I snugged down the bolts, didn't help. I removed the bonnet and replaced it, no help. To really make my day I went and checked the previously (last ye...