You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

Sunday, June 17th 2007, 7:13pm

Author: burley

MPRotator on hill

I'm considering using the MPRotator heads on a hill - a 30 deg slope. Any ideas on how much the radius will be affected on the uphill and downhill sides? And can this head be installed at a slant? I assume it would have to be to overcome the slope, but I don't know how well it performs on an angle, particularly since it's not gear driven like most rotors. I wrote to the company and got no response (not a good sign), but the low precipitation rate seems like a good thing for my hill especially si...

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 4:52pm

Need suggestions for around pool

What about something like Rain Bird's Landscape Dripline?

Thursday, June 7th 2007, 6:34am

Rotor angle vs precipitation rate

I think I found the answer on the irrigationtutorials.com. The solution is to use different nozzles to match the gpm based on the angle coverage. E.g. use a 1gpm for the 1/4 circle, 2gpm for the 1/2, 4gpm for the full circle. But this raises a second question. When you use different nozzles, you also change the radius. If I'm using a nozzle 4 times larger than the radius I need for the full heads, it would seem I need to cut the radius by nearly half. Does that cause any problems? Doesn't that s...

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 8:58pm

large sprays = bad?

I have a lawn that has an ideal head spacing of about 18-19 feet. This is right at (or just past) the upper limit of most sprays. I've notice that many manufacturers either stop at 15' or only include 17' as a part circle. Is there a reason for this? Are large sprays (17'+) just not a good idea? If I cover the same area with smaller (10-12') sprays then I'll have twice the heads (14 vs 7) and about 25% more gpm, just enough to put me into two zones instead of one. And having heads in the middle ...

Wednesday, June 6th 2007, 8:29pm

Rotor angle vs precipitation rate

If I understand correctly, rotors put out the same gpm regardless of the operating angle, and thus the precipitation rate depends on the angle. Why is this not a problem?! Won't the corners (with 90 degree rotors) be getting 4x the water compared to out in the middle of the turf where you've only got full circle rotors? Note: this is completely different behavior than sprays which have a precipitation rate that's independent of angle (a 1/4 circle puts out 1/4 the water as a full circle as you'd...

Monday, June 4th 2007, 8:15pm

backflow testing

From what I've read, I think that I could test a PVB myself using a "sight tube" (following Febco's testing instructions for the 765 for instance). An RP on the other hand seems to require an expensive calibrated testing assembly and is obviously not a DIY tested device. If testing is not required by the city, is it still advised to have a RP tested annually? Or is it safe to just wait until it leaks to call for repairs?

Monday, June 4th 2007, 6:48pm

backflow preventer for uphill zone

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll have to go with the RPZ.

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 3:10pm

Why would protection of the pipe upstream of the AVB matter? We're talking about 40' of pipe between the valve and the AVB. There's another 100' or so of mainline that wouldn't be protected too. But why would that matter? Is the main concern that a backflow condition might occur at the same time as a pipe failure incident?

Sunday, June 3rd 2007, 3:05pm

backflow testing

Is there anyone who gets their system tested annually (or does the testing) that can suggest what a typical testing fee might be for a residential backflow device? Would the type of device affect the fee? If so, what would be the difference in testing cost between a PVB and RP assembly?

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 9:06pm

I have one uphill zone on a rather steep 40' slope. I understand I can use a reduced pressure principle (RPP) assembly, and I can afford the 15 psi pressure loss, but I'm concerned about the cost, complexity, and testing requirements. I'm considering using one PVB for all the downhill zones and using an AVB on the top of the hill for the uphill zone. I know AVB's are frowned upon, but I know a lot of people (in Southern California at least) use anti-siphon valves which are really just a valve wi...

Thursday, May 31st 2007, 8:42pm

backflow testing

It's my understanding that any backflow prevention device other than perhaps an anti-siphon valve or atmospheric vaccum breaker (if those are even permitted) requires annual testing by a certified testing service. But this never seems to be discussed. So do residential users generally comply with testing requirements? If so, what's a reasonable or typical cost for testing a PVB or RPP assembly? And is testability a consideration for choosing one over the other? The PVB from what I can tell is ea...