You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-16 of 16.

Sunday, July 27th 2014, 9:10am

Author: Jack N

Spray vs drip

I purchased a house with an irrigation system already installed. I learned very quickly that the system couldn’t possibly have been “designed” at all. The coverage and selection of heads and nozzles is horrendous, so now I’m in the process of trying to fix it. The house has a lot of landscaping work done, and the irrigation for the landscaping that runs right next to the house on three sides is what I’m working on now. Only two sprays were used for this entire area, and basically all they did wa...

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 3:53pm

Hunter Pro-C programming

Manufacturers incentive - FWIW – my opinion. Given current day technology I would have to think that during the initial design stage it would be a fairly minor thing to have a PCB work with multiple parameters. Cost wise, the difference would be insignificant and the benefit would be having happier customers rather than disappointed ones. But I’m not an EE so I’m not really qualified to say. You are correct though, that to correct it now may be a big deal. As far as watering every four days rega...

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 1:15pm

Hunter Pro-C programming

I think I understand what you're saying. Sounds logical so I'll take your word for it. One of the reasons I bought the Pro-C is because I thought the two programming styles were compatible with each other. I didn't think one would override the other. Hunter certainly doesn't disclose that in their advertising. Certainly misleading and disappointing. Now I wonder if I should be buying any more Hunter products. Is there a controller that will work the way I'd like it to work?

Sunday, September 18th 2011, 12:03pm

Hunter Pro-C programming

I’ve recently upgraded from an old Toro controller to a Hunter Pro-C Conventional. Also, I live in one of those cities where you’re only allowed to water on odd/even days. If I program it to water only on odd days, it seems to work fine – basically watering once every two days. However I like to water once every four days. When I program it to do interval watering at four days and watering only on odd days, it works fine for the month during which I programmed it, but as soon as there’s a differ...

Friday, August 20th 2010, 12:27pm

Switching brands

That's ok. I planned on installing swing joints any way so I can go to the 6" I-20. Do you prefer plastic over stainless as well? Why or why not?

Friday, August 20th 2010, 1:05am

Switching brands

Ok. Why the plastic over the stainless?

Thursday, August 19th 2010, 7:22pm

Switching brands

I've gotten tired of fiddling with, and replacing the Toro Super 700 heads in my system so I've decided to switch to a different brand. I'll be replacing them as they break down - I currently have 3 heads that need replacing. I've decided to use the Hunter I-20. It looks like this should be a step up in both durability and user-friendliness. I have two questions. 1) Is the optional stainless steel covering on the pop-up worth the extra few dollars, or is it there mainly for looks? The Hunter adv...

Monday, May 19th 2008, 7:38pm

Clueless

Thanks for the info and the link. Lots of info there. I checked and you are correct, I have a PVB. I live in Minnesota and I’ve never heard of anyone pulling their backflow preventer out of the system for the winter. Is this something that really needs to be done ? I didn’t pull mine out last fall so should I have someone come out and make sure that it’s functioning correctly ?

Sunday, May 18th 2008, 8:22pm

Clueless

[attach]4[/attach] What is this device called, what is it's function, and how do I test it to see if it's working correctly ? I went to turn on my system today for the new season and this item was hemoraging severly out the top. After the 3rd try of turning the water on and off, it stopped hemoraging.

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 5:48pm

Noise

Wow. Good article. Thanks. I haven't finished reading it yet and I've already come across quite a few possibilities that I'm going to check into. Thanks for the link.

Tuesday, September 18th 2007, 2:59pm

Noise

Jimmyburg - I must be missing something. Try what ? Wet Boots - Sorry, I don't know the first thing about zone valves, so I don't know if they have flow controls on them or not. The system was made by Toro and professionally installed (at least they call themselves professionals, but I don't think they knew much more than I do). Can you help me out with more info ? I thought of trying a water hammer arrestor. Do you think this would help ? Is a water hammer arrestor simply a pipe with one end cl...

Monday, September 17th 2007, 3:58pm

Noise

I'm new to in-ground systems and need to learn some more. When my system starts up, and each time another zone starts, the pipe inside my house that feeds the irrigation system vibrates heavily for 5-10 seconds then settles down but doesn't go completely away. It sounds similar to water hammering. What's happening and how do I fix the problem ?

Saturday, July 28th 2007, 3:17pm

Toro Super 700 heads

Well, I think I've managed to get the hang of it. Thanks guys for the help. Still puzzled as to how that little screw thing works on the top, but it seems to do it's job well. After looking at all of the heads in the system carefully, I think I'm going to have to put slightly longer risers under some of them. The spray doesn't completely clear the grass. I also checked what size nozzles were used in which heads and I'm rather surprised to find that almost all of the heads have the same nozzle re...

Tuesday, July 24th 2007, 1:08am

Toro Super 700 heads

Thanks for the answer. Makes sense, sort of. I've tried turning the screw but it doesn't seem to tighten or loosen. I wonder if it's broken or the threads are stripped. It sounds like this procedure will change the amount of rotation on one end or the other - so how do I get the opposite end to move ? The video thing sounds like a great idea.

Monday, July 23rd 2007, 1:26pm

Toro Super 700 heads

Oh boy ! Am I glad I found this site ! I just moved into this house a few weeks ago, and it has an in-ground sprinkler system. It’s the very first house I’ve ever owned with a sprinkler system so I’m as green as can be on this stuff. I haven’t got a clue as to what I’m doing, but I was able to figure out the control box fairly well. I attempted to change the start and stop points (amount of rotation) on one of the sprinkler heads, and managed to change it into sprinkling the neighbors’ yard and ...