You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 21.

Sunday, May 27th 2007, 7:48pm

Author: dzuroff

Replacing Controller

I was able to trace the wires to find out where they went so everything is now working great. I was just doing some research to try and make the job a little easier. Thanks for trying to help.

Friday, May 25th 2007, 5:30am

Replacing Controller

I had checked that out previously. It looks like the manual only has information on programming the timer and I didn't see anything in there about wiring.

Thursday, May 24th 2007, 6:37pm

Replacing Controller

I have a very old Rainbird CRC-6A controller that I am replacing with a Hunter SRC-600i. I am a little confused with my wiring and was wondering if anyone knew where I can find information on wiring up a Rainbird CRC-6A. I figured if I can get more information on how the original controller is wired it may shed some light on what some of the wires lead to. The original setup is connected with a rain sensor and also a relay that fires up my pump. The new setup will also include a rain sensor (The...

Monday, April 23rd 2007, 11:34am

Nozzle Configuration

I have a question about selecting the proper nozzles. First of all, I am not sure what my PSI rating is and i know that is the key to proper set up. My system uses a pump that draws water from a well so I am not connected to city water. Do I just connect a water pressure gage inline with the outgoing line and pressurize one zone? The main question I have is, say I have three heads.. one that rotates at 90 degrees, one the rotates 180 degrees, and one that rotates 360 degrees. Should the water ou...

Wednesday, April 20th 2005, 9:32am

Question About Water Pressure

I finally installed a water pressure gage on my system to see what PSI I am getting and that raises another question. On zone 1 which has 12 pop up spray heads I get a reading of 35psi. Zone 2 has 9 rotary heads and I get a reading of 60psi. The answer sounds obvious, but since I am fairly new to this I want to make sure I am going about this the correct way. Should I base my nozzle selection on the PSI I get on each zone? As an example let's take two zones with 9 rotary heads. Zone 1 has a PSI ...

Tuesday, April 19th 2005, 5:40am

Figuring Out Which Nozzle To Use

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I am not sure what a hose bib is. I guess I better find out, huh? I didn't think about this before but the only place that I know of where I can easily connect a gage is in the middle of my discharge pipe where I have a water valve with a connection for a hose (Is that a hose bib?). Would that give me an accurate reading? The water would basically be flowing through the pipe past the gage so I would not get the same reading as if it was a closed system.

Monday, April 18th 2005, 6:30pm

Figuring Out Which Nozzle To Use

After reading various messages in the forum I have learned that each head with a different radius should have a different nozzle installed to control the amount of water being deposited on the lawn; i.e. 90 degree radius, 180 degree radius, 360 degree radius, etc... I also realize the key to choosing the correct nozzle is knowing my water PSI and GPM... Unfortunately I do not know these things because I have a pump drawing water from a well and the pump does not have a PSI gage attached. Is ther...

Wednesday, April 13th 2005, 6:25am

Best Solution For Raising Heads?

I think I will replace the elbow because that will also make it easier for me if I need to perform maintenance in the future. With that said, what is the easiest way to remove an elbow? I realize I should not heat the pipe because it would weaken it, but I understand these fitting are very tight, and for good reason. Will I need to cut off the existing elbow, or is there a method to removing them? I read in another message that one method of installing an elbow is to smear a little dish soap on ...

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 12:23pm

Best Solution For Raising Heads?

I am down to two options on raising my rotary heads. I need to raise them because I have an older system and the turf has built up over the years so I am looking at raising them about 1/2" to 1". The system was already installed when I bought my house so I don't have a map of the entire system, however I do know that each rotary head is connected to a 3/4" riser elbow similar to this one: http://www.starnursery.com/show_details.php?root=4&sub1=54&product=841&PHPSESSID=fb12865627fe71864c42af3c25c...

Monday, April 11th 2005, 10:02am

Riser Installation

I have been looking everywhere for this 3/4" riser extender and I keep hitting dead ends. The one I have in mind is similar to this link: http://www.starnursery.com/show_details.php?root=4&sub1=54&product=820 but in a 3/4". If this is not available can someone please direct me to where I could find a 3/4" riser extender? Thanks for all your help. If I can't find what I am looking for I may go the route of using funny pipe.

Monday, April 4th 2005, 7:37pm

Riser Installation

That is exactly what I need however is it available in 3/4"? The only riser extender I have found is 1/2" and I believe I will need 3/4"

Friday, April 1st 2005, 6:25pm

Riser Installation

I have an older system and the turf has built up over the years so I want to install risers to raise up the rotor heads about .5 to 1 inch. Each rotor is connected to what appears to be a male reducing elbow. It seems like everywhere I look I only see female reducing elbows. Is it possible that the elbows I have could be female reducing elbows with a short riser already threaded in place? Or is there such a thing as a male reducing elbow? Would it be easier for me to simply replace each elbow wi...

Monday, September 20th 2004, 8:50am

Need Help Choosing Correct Nozzle

I have two zones with rotary heads, each zone has 9 heads. The system was already installed when I bought the house so I have to work with what I have. The distance sounds about right and I am getting head to head coverage, but the other thing I noticed is the pattern does not look like the pattern I have seen for the rain current nozzles. I do get a spray but not what I would consider to be a "curtain". Could this have something to do with using the wrong sized nozzles?

Sunday, September 19th 2004, 5:27pm

Need Help Choosing Correct Nozzle

I have Rainbird 5000+ rotary heads installed using the rain curtain nozzles. My water is supplied by a well using a flint and walling 2HP pump, however I do not have a pressure gage installed so I have no idea what pressure I am throwing out to the heads. Is there a way to check my pressure without a gage on the pump? Is that the only method to choosing the correct nozzle? I currently have the 2.0 nozzels installed but I am not entirely sure that they are doing the job. I water every other morni...

Wednesday, April 7th 2004, 2:48pm

Pump problems

I am at my wits end and I really need some advice. I have a 2hp Flint & Walling CJ101 Centrifugal pump that was spraying water when turned on, but I had plenty of pressure to run the sprinkler system just fine. I wanted to correct the spray problem so I replaced the rotary seal and found one of the impellers was looking pretty rough so I also replaced the impeller. I connected the pump again, primed it, then fired it up. Now I get absolutely nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to get...

Wednesday, October 29th 2003, 4:47am

Need a New Pump

I have a Flint and Walling CJ101 2HP pump connected to my sprinkler system. It is currently in need of two new impellers and I am wanting to weigh the cost of repairing my pump or buying a new one. I am hoping someone can tell me what type of pump is typically used in new sprinkler system installations. The F&W pump I have retails at $901 which is a lot more than I am able to spend. If that price is typical of any new pump I would have to buy I will just repair the one I have. Thanks in advance ...

Monday, October 13th 2003, 7:33am

Want To Upgrade Timer

I have a rainbird system that was installed about 20 years ago and of course the timer reflects this. I was thinking about upgrading the timer to something modern and was hoping I could get some tips on what may be a good one for me to buy. I have four zone in my system along with a rain shut-off device. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Thursday, June 26th 2003, 6:29am

Broken Pipe?

I am going to be replacing all the sprinkler heads on a system that is around 20 years old. I noticed that at two head locations I can see water bubbling up from underneath the ground. It could be the head itself, but worst case could I be looking at a cracked pipe? If so, how do I go about repairing it? I haven't dug these locations up yet so I don't know what I am going to see, but I wanted to educated myself before doing so, so once I have the pipe exposed I can repair it then rather than hav...

Wednesday, June 25th 2003, 10:47am

How Do I Check Water Pressure?

Thank you both for your feedback! Especially for the info on the T-Bird. I think I may go with the Rainbird 5000. With that in mind, I did read the descriptions but still don't quite understand this, but what is the difference between a Rainbird 5000, and a 5000 Plus? Do I gain anything by using the 5000 plus? Also, if you had to choose between the Hunter PGP and Rainbird 5000 which would you choose and why? (Setting cost aside that is.. They are both reasonably priced even when not on sale) I w...

Monday, June 23rd 2003, 6:57am

How Do I Check Water Pressure?

I bought a house that already has a sprinkler system installed, however it is in need of some work to get it runing well again. I believe it was originally installed in the late 70's, maybe early 80's and it has not been turned on for several years. It is a rainbird system with Hunter sprinkler heads (not sure which model, but I do know they are 4" pop-ups rotary heads in 2 zones, and pop-up sprayers in the other two zones). Rather than dig up all 18 rotary heads to clean and inspect them, I thi...