You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 67.

Saturday, November 24th 2012, 7:15am

Author: ReddHead

Homemade Controller

The equipment was already built from my home automation stuff. The software was all I needed to write. I'm not developer by trade so that wasn't a big deal.

Friday, November 23rd 2012, 8:52am

Homemade Controller

Quoted from "scercpio" Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy an Irrigation Caddy? In my case, no. I already had the Ethernet controller and relay board that I use for other home automation projects. Net cost was just my time to write the scheduling software. The Ethernet controller is $79 and the relay board cost about $30 for components if I remember correctly.

Tuesday, November 13th 2012, 9:05am

1" Watts 800M4FR

Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Now you know why the pro gets the big money. Connect on the upstream side. The Wilkins is a special animal, and not typical. By the way, you are letting yourself in for doing all maintenance on the system, as people who do their own winterizing are a bottom priority to the pros when it comes to in-season repairs. I won't let them go near it again. This being a "Pro" install I now have to dig out the valve box and seal the wires next spring.

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 6:19pm

1" Watts 800M4FR

My mother had a sprinkler system installed about 5 years ago and always had it blown out by the company that installed it. This year she asked if I could do it for her instead of paying the $65 they charge. I won't even get into the buried in dirt zone valves and non-sealed wire nuts... I hooked my compressor up to the test port on the outlet side of the backflow preventer and as soon as I turned on the air it began leaking out of the top of the Watts 800M4FR. My 2 year old Wilkins doesn't do th...

Monday, September 24th 2012, 12:27pm

can this be done (controller/ sensor)?

This might be right up your alley and fairly affordable. http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Laser-Tripwire/ Instead of turning the LED on and off you can have it turn a relay on and off that controls the 24VAC to the solenoid.

Thursday, July 26th 2012, 10:10am

Going under Sidewalks with Pressure Washer

I just used a pipe from Home Depot and whacked it underneath the sidewalk with a hammer. Worked great, didn't make a mess, and didn't wash the sand out from underneath the sidewalk which can lead to cracks in the concrete later.

Friday, June 15th 2012, 6:10am

layout distance exactly between Hunter MP rotor 1000/2000 and 2000/3000, which one???

In my application I found that the MP2000 don't go as far as advertised. At 45psi I should be getting at least 19ft but am only managing about 17. Whereas, the MP 3000's seem to be dead on.

Thursday, June 7th 2012, 9:01am

A revolution using a cheap backflow concept

Even the 1" PVB's are downright cheap if you shop around and they are allowable in your town. I paid $55.24 shipped for a 1" Wilkins backflow when I caught it on sale.

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 1:00pm

Homemade Controller

EDIT: I also bought 90% of my parts from SW. The poly pipe was just too bulky to ship and still be cost effective. Ok, so I finally remembered to grab a cell phone picture. The small module at the top left is actually a 16 channel Ethernet controller. It is tied into my home network and can be controlled by a built in web interface or by SNMP. It's an awesome little piece of kit and only costs about $70. It then ties into a 16 channel relay board toward the bottom of the pic. The relay board use...

Wednesday, May 2nd 2012, 9:40am

Homemade Controller

I'll try to snap a pic tonight if I remember.

Tuesday, May 1st 2012, 6:29am

Homemade Controller

A lot more complex looking than mine. I'm using an off the shelf 16 channel Ethernet controller that connects to a home brew 16 channel PCB relay board. The Ethernet controller can be controlled through a web interface or SNMP. I have a C# application that handles scheduling, calculates water usage, controls zones, etc.

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 9:56am

Found wiring and break in 15 mins for free

Very ingenious, I must remember this trick as I am sure it will happen to me eventually.

Thursday, April 19th 2012, 12:55pm

Can buried cables be routed over or under?

I hand dug anywhere I was within 2ft of a marked utility line for liability purposes. CATV was my biggest concern. I watched them install my neighbor's CATV and they only went as deep as a spade shovel would penetrate. So basically, his CATV is under his sod. In the future it will probably rise to the surface.

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 9:08am

Side strip on rotor zone

I don't see why not as long as you can match the precip rate of the rotors. All of the MP rotators are designed to be very close in precip rates so you can mix and match them. Not sure of the other brands but I love the MP rotators I have.

Friday, April 6th 2012, 7:54am

Question about my own sprinkler system

I only had 51psi static and 7.5gpm of flow so it can be done. I used 1 inch for the main line and most of the laterals and kept the flow of each zone near or under the 8gpm mark. I have a feeling I went a little bigger than I needed to. You will need a backflow preventer. Each town varies but in my town I was told I needed a plumbing permit and an electrical permit. I guess my town likes to inspect low voltage wiring as well. You should be able to find plenty of information on backflow preventer...

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:01am

how to determine irrigation layout

Quoted from "njitgrad" Let me clarify...the tent is not a permanent fixture...i plan to take it down after every social event. Therefore I will be driving the anchor pins down with a hammer and removing them when the event is over. The question I still have is how will I know if I punctured a line though? Put the spikes in the ground, remove spikes, turn on zones, see if water comes out of the holes.

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:56am

1" PE design question

Definitely. The 3/4" will provide more than enough flow for a single MP1000. Just use a 1" to 3/4" reducing barb and you're all set.

Friday, February 24th 2012, 11:58am

Inserting PE into barbed fittings

Propane torch with the click ignitor. I would evenly heat 2 or 3 ends at a fitting, slip them on, let them cool, and then crimp the clamps. They don't need much heat, maybe only a few seconds. If you overheat you can weaken the plastic too much and it will kink or twist. On a hot day in the sun you don't even need a torch. Funny pipe I didn't heat at all.

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 11:59am

New Controller

Do you have an irrigation supply company that will sell direct to the public? I have one about 40 minutes from me. I bought all my poly there as it was much cheaper due to shipping. I don't think I bought anything at Lowes or Home Depot. Bought a lot from SW when they had a nice sale going on. Got some great discounts.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 11:46am

Burying vs. valve box?

Stupid question probably, but how does the krick-it work? Does it make the solenoid pulse on and off?