You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 97.

Sunday, June 30th 2013, 9:27am

Author: seansy59

what nozzle size for new sod

Generally, they give "default" nozzle sizes. Example would be 2gpm for 1/4 circ. 3gpm for 1/2 circ. and so on. But most of the time, it depends on your pressure and flow. So choose the best nozzle for the application. Less pressure/flow? Then use a 2gpm nozzle minimum in each head with a longer run time. A lot of pressure and flow? Use 3-5 gpm nozzles in each head with short run time.But beware of runoff with high flow nozzles, and winds affecting smaller flow nozzles. Try not to go lower than 2...

Tuesday, April 2nd 2013, 5:42pm

Zone has no water pressure

It could be a leak underground that isn't really showing (broken joint/pipe). Run the system a bit (idea optional if for water bill) and look for muddy, soggy, or "water bubbled" areas. Also make sure none of the heads are broken underneath/around them. Is the system poly or pvc? If it is poly you may have a kink from a tree root, recent digging, or driving over an area.

Sunday, November 11th 2012, 8:45am

Best Rotor for Short distances

I prefer Hunter PGP sprinklers. But that's just me. Everyone has their preferences.

Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 8:03pm

ROAM REMOTE

Although its not the best brand, I have an Orbit 6 station remote control timer (They sell a 12 zone too, can't comment on that one). It's worked wonderfully in my yard for the last 2 yrs and still does. It is instant on/off, and communicates instantly with the timer/valves (only a 1/2 second delay if even that) I use it all the time to quickly flush heads for only 1-2 seconds The range used to be about 200ft line of site, which was fair, but I've boosted it to 1000+ft even not in line of site u...

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 8:31pm

Best pop-up replacements?

I prefer Hunter PGP over any other sprinklers out there. They work great, are reliable, and have even coverage and distance. They have the Hunter PGP Ultras out there too, and I have tried them, but the original Hunter PGP-ADJ is still the best for me as they have a stronger spring to retract them. The newer Ultra's spring is a lot lighter, and doesn't retract sometimes if you have sandy soil. I have tried Toro's (including the Pro stream XL), Rain Bird's, and Orbit's, and have all had leaking, ...

Sunday, May 20th 2012, 10:28am

Hunter PGV valve not opening after cleaning

Moving parts do wear out. It may be time to replace the diaphragm.

Monday, May 14th 2012, 7:24pm

Rainbird - Hunter or Orbit....

I prefer Hunter over Rainbird. I have had many bad experiences with Rainbird, but that may just be me. I have Hunter heads and valves and haven't had a problem with them. Rainbird would come in second, but I've had problems with riser seals leaking and the valves sticking. Again, probably just me, but I can't work with items that don't work for me. I would stay away from Toro and Orbit except for Toro's large surface sprinklers that are used on Golf Courses But, that's off topic for this situati...

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 12:03pm

Leaky head after system is turned off .

Keep the zone off for a while. If the dripping/leak stops after a few minutes or in some case with large zones, hours, than that is just low head drainage. You'll also notice a lot of "air" sizzling out of the heads every time you turn the zone on, because the water needs to fill the pipe again and take over the air space. This is common when a certain head, and the pipe are at lower/higher levels then others. This is normal for most systems, but can be stopped with a sprinkler head that has a "...

Saturday, May 12th 2012, 10:21am

Leaky head after system is turned off .

The problem is not the head, but the zone control valve. You can try taking apart and cleaning the valve that controls that zone first as there may be debris in the diaphragm letting water pass.

Friday, May 11th 2012, 4:32pm

Watering time for NJ

I usually water in the afternoon around 5pm since I like to see my sprinklers working, and I have 6 zones, each 15 minutes each. I water 15 minutes each during spring and mild summer, and when the weather gets hotter, I pump it up to 20 minutes each. (But that's just me) My yard is in the sun from 7am till about 5pm. I've always watered in the afternoon so it can soak in. Not once have I ever had a problem with mold, disease, etc. The grass always has dew forming on it when it gets dark whether ...

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 7:15pm

Hunter control valve for high pressure application?

Valves for 70-75 psi? Hunter PGV with flow control. They are rated for 150 psi and has flow control to limit flow to each zone. I just ordered 6 of these (flow control was not needed for me) Hunter PGV with flow Control

Friday, April 20th 2012, 5:38pm

Rainbird R-50

Well.....I don't know if you really want to pay the price for it, you can swap the insides which are 2" underground. Unscrew it, and put the new body in. Or.......it's easy to replace a head. Dig down 6"-8", and over to the side, install a swing joint on there, or "Funny Pipe" since today's heads are a few inches taller, and install a Hunter PGP Ultra right next to it. If the casing is cracked, you have to replace the whole head anyway....... Lets see if anyone else can find an exact replacment,...

Wednesday, April 18th 2012, 1:32pm

Hunter Irrigation now at Home Depot

They are now selling Hunter PGJ rotors, PGV valves and Pro Spray sprinklers at my local Home Depot. I asked the guy that was there and he said the Orbit's were not selling well. They were already out of stock of the PGJ rotors and they had an order of 50 DOZEN THAT WERE GONE WITHIN 12 HOURS OF SHELF STOCKING! They started selling them at the Home Depot's because of high request/orders online and they said they expect PGP-ADJ's and possibly the PGP Ultra's to come in also at some-point in the fut...

Monday, April 9th 2012, 9:36am

Question about my own sprinkler system

My pressure is only about 8-9gpm, and 60psi. I was able to put 3-4 Hunter PGP ultra's, or Rainbird 5004 rotors on each zone, with 2-3 gpm nozzles each depending on # of heads a zone, 6 zones total. I succeeded in head to head coverage except for a small area in my front yard due to some big @$$ roots from oak trees. All areas are different as far as installation. In my area, all you need to do is have utilities marked if you are doing it yourself. Since we have lived here for over 30yrs, we know...

Monday, March 26th 2012, 12:46pm

Which Valve for DIrty Water?

YOu know. What gets me is that it worked fine last year with very little sediment to none. We run off a well. This is the first winter they went through. For people on wells. Do you usually flush the well for a few minutes on full blast to clean out the sediment from over winter. I'm thinking about getting Toro 1" jar top valves for $12-$14 each at home depot for new valves since 3 of the six valves I have now are dieing. The solenoid is going in one of them, the other seal leaks, and the last o...

Monday, March 26th 2012, 12:23pm

Emergency freeze shutdown

I started my irrigation system 2 weeks ago because of the warm weather, so did everyone else in my area, including companies. How should I semi winterized it from damage. 28*F tonight. I have no air compressor since I borrowed one last year.

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 2:02pm

Which Valve for DIrty Water?

I currently have Toro 3/4" inline valves, and they suck. Constantly leak, bleed, stay on and don't shut off quick enough before the next zone comes on, therefore leaving the sprinklers all bubbling. I need 1" inline valves for very gritty water. Around $15 each. What should I get? I need 6-7 valves. Link me to some good ones please. I'm tired of dealing with these valves every day. ANd I only started the system a week ago. A filter won't work for this because its all sand/grit, and I would litte...

Sunday, March 11th 2012, 9:41am

Irrigation Project

6 gpm is not alot for sprinklers. I have 9-10 gpm out of my well and thats barely enough to work 3 sprinkler rotors at 3 gpm each for my 1/2 acre front/side/back lawn. Whatever you do, if you are running it 200 yards, use a minimum 1" pvc. Any smaller, and you will have some major PSI and gpm loss. 200 yards is a LONG run for low pressure/gpm. Do you have a well or city water? Do you know your mainline size and PSI rating? For that much of a run, you want all the flow you can get.

Monday, February 27th 2012, 5:49pm

Inserting PE into barbed fittings

Quoted from "wsommariva" I'm hoping the hairdryer works. When you use the hairdryer, make sure you use at least a minimum #14 gauge extension cord. If it is over 25ft, then use a #12 gauge. I tried a #16 gauge cord only 25ft away from the outlet, and the plug and wire melted on my cord. The #14 gauge just got very warm at 25ft. Over that, the voltage got too low for it to work, and everything overheated and the breaker tripped. I used a #12 gauge extension cord, 50ft away, and it stayed cool, a...

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 6:02pm

Inserting PE into barbed fittings

I used a hair dryer on a few of mine before the hot summer days came. The only problem I had with that was running the power out to where I needed it. Can't run those energy hogs on a long extension cord without either blowing a fuse/breaker, or melting the cord itself. Blow torch also. Be careful not to melt the pipe though or you'll warp it, or make it weak. You don't want to put it too close to the pipe.