You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-19 of 19.

Friday, November 1st 2002, 2:10am

Author: daronson

Well Water & Water Softener

If you have high iron content in your water and your sprinklers will be spraying over the sidewalks and onto vinyl siding, you may want to consider running certain zones through the softener. Personally, I already designed my system with 2 manifolds (one on each side of the house) with 2 PVB, and if I wanted to go through the softener with the zones that hit the sidewalk, I would have to add 2 MORE PVB, and decided that I would powerwash if the iron/rust buildup becomes an issue. My neighbor had...

Monday, June 10th 2002, 7:39am

trenching

Call some of your local irrigation contractors and ask if they will just pull the poly pipe for you. Some will even help with your design/layout. I did, however, come across 1 contractor who would do all or none! He gave me a quote for the whole job, which was about half labor.

Tuesday, June 4th 2002, 3:09am

Are Surveys necessary?

When I bought my new house 2 years ago, I paid the extra $200 for the builder to install rebar at the property corners. for another $200, he would've installed the concrete monuments. These are more or less permanent AND accurate. The little stakes with the red/orange flags eventually get knocked down or broken. Personally, I would have a survey done. Regarding head placement, I just installed a 55 head system and placed the heads about 1-2' from the property line. If you have head-to-head cover...

Monday, June 3rd 2002, 11:03am

Sod Webworms (lawn moth)

I have sod webworms (the white moths fly up as I mow the lawn) and need to apply an insecticide, prob. scotts step 3 (fertilizer plus insect control). I would assume this has to be applied annually - does anyone know of another cure for this insect that will last more than 1 season? I just applied fertilizer plus weed control about 2-3 weeks ago, and I usually apply the insect control/fert. later in july or august. any recommendations?

Thursday, May 16th 2002, 7:25am

Tick Control

Does anyone know what I can spray along my tree-line in the backyard to help control TICKS? I know exterminators using something, don't know what. They typically charge $75 per spray, and spray 3-4 times a year. I am looking for something to spray myself, so I can let my cat roam alittle more freely in the wooded back yard. He does have the frontline topical treatment, but I want to be safe (as well as keep them off of ME, especially the DEER ticks who can caryy lymes disease). Thanks.

Monday, May 6th 2002, 5:56am

Backflow leaking at inlet & outlet fittings

Recently installed a 10 zone system with 2 manifolds, each with it's own PVB. PVB's have female threads, so I threaded in a male PVC connector (with teflon tape) and glued the pvc to this. The threaded pvc connection to the pbv has a slow drip, both inlet and outlet. I hand tightened and gave some exta torque with a pipe wrench. I did not use unions, so the only way to get the pvb off is to cut it off and re-do the pbv connections, and switch to threaded unions. Is there a "quick fix" solution t...

Monday, April 29th 2002, 11:45am

Small holes in sprinkler

I installed PGP heads and noticed on a few (maybe 2 out of 55) that water is trickling out of the small hole on the side of the pop-up section of the head. Don't know if there is a blockage in the head somewhere, or if this is normal???

Wednesday, April 24th 2002, 3:24am

valve manifolds

I am in the process of installing a 10 zone system, with 2 manifold boxes. I already installed one manifold assembly using pvc manifold tees that slip together and have a female thread to accept the valve. I have 5 valves in this box, but added a 6th manifold "elbow" and capped it (for future use if needed). Getting to the point - I have a six-valve manifold in a rectangular box, however, it is a JUMBO box which measures 18 X 24. Standard boxes are 12 X 18, which is too small for 6 valves, and k...

Thursday, April 18th 2002, 4:04am

Where to start

I am on a well, along with my whole development. The PSI at the pressurizer in the basement cycles between 37-52 PSI. I have not completed the sprinkler installation yet, but MANY of my neighbors have. They have anywhere from 4-6 heads per zone, use rotor heads shooting 25-35' and have NO problems with water pressure.

Thursday, April 18th 2002, 3:52am

Blowout valve

I am ready to hook up the PVB and blowout. I am using all PVC and will insert a 1" X 1" X 3/4" female threaded tee after the PVB for the blowout. Instead of capping the threaded opening with a tee, and having to re-teflon the fitting every year, someone told me I should attach a boiler drain (similar to hose bib/water spigot) to the tee instead of capping it. This way when I am ready to blow out the system (after turning off the main)I can hook up a compressor to the 3/4" male threads on the boi...

Monday, April 1st 2002, 2:46am

trenching

I almost rented a pipe puller ($125 for the day) which would have required a truck rental to tow the trailer, not to mention a full day of hard labor. I then got three quotes to pull the pipe (7 rolls, 2100 feet, for 10 zones). Quotes were 250, 300 and 450. I contracted the guy for 300, and came home from work one day to have all of the pipe pulled!! Definitely the way to go, and it beats trenching as already explained. All I had to do was connect tees on each zone where there was an offshoot fr...

Monday, April 1st 2002, 2:42am

PVC and poly threaded connections

I installed the valves onto the manifold only hand tight. I did have to exert a bit of pressure to get them to the upright position. Don't think they could be any tighter by hand, and I DON'T plan on using any type of wrench to snug them any more. Worst case scenario in my position is that the valves leak, which I can always redo the seal, as opposed to cracking the valve. I used 3 full wraps of teflon, and this seemed pretty sufficient.

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 4:29am

Grub Treatment

I saw on TV that Milky Spores should be used to treat grubs, and it lasts many many years. Locally can only seem to find Grub-Ex and this I believe needs to be treated annually. Wasn't actually sure if I HAD grubs (New development, built about 2 years ago) until I was digging for my sprinkler system and caught a grub red-handed. Any thoughts on Milky Spores would be appreciated, as well as where it can be purchased (I am located in Central NJ - "Exit 7A")

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 3:22am

PVB and blowout & PVC vs. Copper

The reason I was putting the tee in the basement and running out to 2 PVB's is b/c my deck is 30' wide, and the location midway between the 2 valve boxes is smack underneath the deck!! Boy, If I had only installed the sprinklers BEFORE the deck!!! I would rather run most of the pvc INSIDE instead of OUTSIDE anyway. Do you use one union, on the outlet side of the PVB, which would allow you to spin the PVB off of the inlet side once the union is removed?? Or do you use a union on each side? Also w...

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 3:12am

What type of glue do you use on the funny pipe fitting? Do you ALWAYS use glue? This (probably pretty obvious) is my first (and hopefully last) irrigation system installation.

Wednesday, March 27th 2002, 3:08am

Saddles

RVLI, thanks for your help! Regarding teflon tape, I was just advised last night to use it on the all male fittings up to and including the valves, but NOT on the funny ells where they attach to the sprinkler head and saddle. Nothing is ever easy, I guess there could be more than 1 correct answer. Can you elaborate here? Regarding saddles and poly, the poly is just installed high in places. Just received shipment of blazing saddles last night and the instructions indicate that they can be mounte...

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 6:46am

Saddles

I will be using blazing saddles on 1” (80 psi) poly pipe, and noticed when installing some of the tee connections where the main line branches off, there were some places where the poly was only 3-4” deep. (I hired an irrigation contractor to pull the poly) If the saddles sits too close to the surface level, is there anything that can be done (i.e. attempt to lower a section of the poly, or install the saddle at an angle) or should a dawn type saddle (with a lower profile) be used here? Also, is...

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 6:35am

PVB and blowout & PVC vs. Copper

I have a rather large yard, and am installing 10 zones. To avoid running 5 lines around the deck to the other side of the house, I am installing 2 manifold boxes, one on either end of the house. The plan is to tee off in the basement (after the sprinkler shutoff valve and a boiler drain valve) with PVC and run the 50’ of PVC in the basement to the other end of the house for manifold box # 2. Upon exiting house, each line will be attached to a PVB, then into the ground to the manifold. Is there a...

Tuesday, March 26th 2002, 6:31am

I ran 1" poly and will be using blazing saddles in the middle of the pipe and 3/4" reducers on the ends. I will use 2 Otecker clamps on each reducer. My question is do I use teflon tape on the funny ells when threading them to the poly reducer? Also, is teflon used on the funny ell to the sprinkler head, or just threaded on? My understanding is that there is no need for any clamp on the funny pipe itself, just slip it onto the funny ell. When attaching the manifold (1" female threaded manifold t...