You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-12 of 12.

Tuesday, May 17th 2011, 1:18pm

Author: jason9520

water to recreational field

bought my 1.5" sch 40 to send water to the back. My wife said we should hold off on the additional laterals and sprinklers because f the expenses. I plan to place 4 T's on the field and run a hose off each one and run multiple (mini) raintrains in order to cut down on price. I plan to add the lateralls later. The raintrains use about 6gpm each and so I will try to run 3 which will be max gpm on my copper pipe, but running 4 at 24gpm will be awfully tempting. Materials are starting to add up, but...

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 12:04am

btw 1.5" mainline sch40pvc 250-350ft (didn't change the numbers much). and 1.0" cl200pvc for the laterals. 70-250' would all be fairly safe. 5.19ft/sec and 2.7 to 9.6 psi loss respectively

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 11:55pm

Great tutorial! I checked the psi from two places off the house and both read 103psi. After figuring the losses from the backflow preventer, mainlines, valves, and 50psi for sprinklers I totaled 75psi loss. I'm a little disappointed that the max gpm I should be taking from my 1"copper line is 18gpm. I'm also concerned with using only 8 rainbird 8000's. I can't figure how I can get head to head coverage. The tutorial calculated that I should run a 1.5" mainline giving me 2.8ft/sec when using 18gp...

Monday, May 9th 2011, 11:28pm

Meter is a model 70 badger 1" meter. I tried to calculate the 2" pipe from the meter to the field and then the 1.5" pipe to 4 zones and couldn't figure out what the calculations meant. The "engineers toolkit" website spit out negative numbers even though I was considering only one zone at a time. My understanding of the gpm and psi losses are non-exsistent. I'm sure also that my zoning and sprinkler placement could be better. I think I would need approx. 50-65' of throw from these rotors in orde...

Monday, May 9th 2011, 8:08pm

In order to verify the meter and readings I used a 6gal. bucket (6gal on bottom of bucket). Turned off everything in the house and opened up a faucet from the house. The meter read 6gallons used and the bucket was all but about 1.5" from the top. Thus I'm willing to say that the meter is reading gallons and that's 4.6 seconds and 6.4 seconds for 10 gallons on the two attempts at measuring at the T valve next to the meter. FYI the 25' hose at the end of a faucet from the houses exterior ran the 6...

Monday, May 9th 2011, 4:30pm

Pick of meter. I agree the numbers sound way off, bit if so I'm just figuring something wrong like the 93/98 gpm you pointed out. I'm sure I get more than 9.3 gpm though right

Monday, May 9th 2011, 12:47pm

Mitchgo, I'll send a picture as soon as I get home. I like the idea of running a 2" main line, and only 8 sprinklers. I don't want to put sprinklers on the field because of the extra work and dangers with malfunctioning sprinkler heads. I realize it's probablly not a realistic issue, but if I can avoid doing so I would like to. Your idea for 8 sprinklers would be if all were on the playing surface right. If so I might do it just because of the small amount of sprinkler heads needed. I was told b...

Monday, May 9th 2011, 2:05am

This would be an idea for the pipe layout.

Monday, May 9th 2011, 1:50am

My meter reads 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 and as it goes from 0 back to 0 it only takes 6.4 seconds. I then was sure that no water was running, then open up a nozle and filled a gallon sized jug which brought the meter from 7.5 to 8.5. The meter also shows "gallons". I've stired about this myself but unless the new meter is reading wrong or I'm somehow calculating wrong it's 98gpm and even 130gpm. I like the ideas of the sprinklers but they would have to be off the playing surface thus no "head to he...

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 7:00pm

Raintrain = Nelson raintrain or little tractor that uses about 6gpm and waters slowly about a 20' wide piece 100' in an hour. ie too slow http://www.lawnh2o.com/nelson/nelson_rain_train.htm hope this helps, Jason

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 6:28pm

I was thinking of using either 2 1/4, 2 1/2, or even 3" pvc to keep the volume and pressure to the backyard (300+ ft away). From there I wanted to either use multiple raintrains, or other sprinklers that wouldn't be permanent on the playing surface. Will simply using a larger diameter hose decrease the time it takes the raintrain to do it's job? The idea is to minimize the watering time. Thanks, Jason

Sunday, May 8th 2011, 5:25pm

Hi Everyone, I have a 63yrd x 40yrd recreational field behind my house that I would love to water more efficiently. Currently I use one Nelson Raintrain which waters the field by use of 6 gpm and takes about 8 hrs. I only have about 2 hrs a day to water the field which takes many adjustments of the hose etc... This means it takes me about 4 days to water, which means I need to start rewatering as soon as I'm done!!! I recently had a 3/4" water meter exchanged for a 1" and placed a T valve just a...