You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-20 of 20.

Friday, July 15th 2011, 1:44pm

Author: brisk

Continuous banging noise in house plumbing when sprinkler is running

Thanks for reminding me Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a really SCARY movie! :-) Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Frankly, the drywall concerns fall into the "tough noogies" file, because water meter access is not yours to impede. If the water company wants to switch meters, they get to do so even at the cost (all yours) of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on your finished basement. Consider modifications to allow easy swapping of meters.

Friday, July 15th 2011, 9:26am

Thanks Mitchgo/Wet_boots. I will try to reproduce it as soon as I get home. Now I feel better because: 1: you are telling me that not to worry about it, and it won't break the pipe 2: my neighbor has the exact same noise, and he has had his system for 10+ years. If the water meter is not going to break, I really don't want to replace the meter, because my basement is finished, in order to reach the meter, I have demolish a piece of drywall and patch it back, paint it again, too much work! But th...

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 4:18pm

Ah.... so this is a non-issue and I can just ignore it? Is this the water meter? see pic below: If it is water meter, why I don't hear the noise from it, instead the noise is about 3-4 feet above it? Sorry, I have too many questions! thanks Quoted from "Wet_Boots" That is definitely not banging. You just have a noisy water meter. You may find that your water purveyor doesn't care if the noise bugs you or not. But you might wheedle a meter replacement from them, but don't expect it to make a grea...

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 1:52pm

Thanks Wet Boots. yes, I am going to check if I can just replace the bonnet of the 100G with 101G. I also uploaded a video, can you please let me is this is what you think it is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GPSKi4v0c thanks Quoted from "Wet_Boots" You can't reproduce the effect in your home, because there isn't a diaphragm valve maxing out the supply. Get to work on the given solutions and stop asking questions.

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 7:15am

Sorry, I re-read my post, I think I have confused you. The distance between street pipe and the water meter is around 60 ft. from street pipe to zone 1,2,3,4 valves are around 80ft. not sure if this makes any difference. Quoted from "Wet_Boots" 150 feet of 3/4-inch copper is a considerable source of pressure loss. When I have a home that's 100 feet from the street, I know I have concerns about pressure lost in the supply line. Don't worry about the double check valve assembly - it is a non-issue...

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 10:34pm

Thanks. Is this so called water hammer? also, can I reproduce this w/o sprinklers? for example, open all cold water faucets in home? thanks Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Your pressure measurements don't mean squat when the valve opens, because the losses caused by the initial rush of water into the zone is what sets up the oscillation.

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 3:42pm

Thanks Wet_Boots. thanks to confirm that DCV is a non-issue. The point I had the pressure checked (65 PSI) is only 8 feet away from the master valve, and master valve is only 1 foot away from the zone valves (to be precisely, to the first 4 zone valves). So it shouldn't matter how far my zones from street, as long as I have 65 PSI a few feet away from the zone valves, then I shouldn't have too much pressure loss. Am I correct? Quoted from "Wet_Boots" 150 feet of 3/4-inch copper is a considerable...

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 11:58am

Thanks wet_boots. I don't think I want to switch the old fashion shutoff valve at this point, I still doubt that this is the problem. As I mentioned in my calculate and test, the flow in the pipe should be able to handle at least 10 GPM, and the max required GPM from my system is 6.12GPM, so it should be ok. The lowest required zones are 1 and 2, which only require 3.48 GPM... I cannot believe my pipe cannot handle 3.48 GPM. Do you think it could be caused by improper installation of double chec...

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 10:37am

Thanks. My neighbor's system is 10+ years old, and mine is 4 days old :-( I didn't really do a good flush of the system after the installation, do you think a jammed diaphragm on the valves could cause the problem? thanks Quoted from "hi.todd" I had a kind of similar situation; Kind of because only 2 of 6 zones made the clanging. First, I tried to look at the backflow, but it checked out fine. Then I reduced the flow, but thought the same thing it should be able to handle it. I ended up going to...

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 6:58am

Thanks Mitchgo and wet_boots. Here are some test results: dynamic PSI after the double check valve and before the master valve: 35-44 PSI (different zone has different readings) Flow test: filled a 5 gallon bucket in 25 seconds, so the GPM should be at least 10 GPM, higher than any of the zones, and this 10 GPM comes from a 1/2" outlet, the sprinkler zone has all the way 3/4" pipe. The maximum flow rate is zone 7, it use less than 7 gallon water per minute. The GPM of the supply pipe is at least...

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 10:48pm

Thanks wet_boots. I am just surprised how that was possible. I have 3/4" pipe with static 65 PSI, The maximum GPM r zone in the design is only 6.12 GPM. In theory, a 1/2" pipe should be able to handle the GPM. Could it be the double check valve? thanks Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Very simply put, sprinkler systems should not be operating with banging plumbing. If you are betting the ranch that there are no partially-closed valves in the supply chain, and you have no flow-controls on the zone valves ...

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 1:47pm

Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Banging pipes can eventually break. What you should do is to experiment with one or more zones, and see if you can get less flow, and maybe stop the banging. All this is an indication of an undersized supply line, in which pressure drops when a zone is opened. How to get less flow? install smaller GPM nozzle?

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 12:44pm

Thanks wet_boots. Yes every shutoff valve in the pathway is fully opened. Unfortunately the valve is does not have flow control. My major concern is, will it damage my house pipes or the sprinkler system? will it cause leaks? Noise is not a big concern for me. Any other suggestions? thanks Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Banging is usually an oscillation. Valve opens, water rushes through, and the pressure upstream of the valve drops to a point where the valve no longer stays fully opened, and a nearly-...

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 11:46am

Help with my design... is it ok?

Thanks everyone for the suggestion! I went with a 9 zone design.

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 11:44am

Hi I have installed my system, everything looks good expect one thing, the continuous banging noise in house plumbing when the system is running. I am in Toronto, water meter is in basement,I connected a 3/4" pipe after the meter to garage, where it supplies the sprinkler system. I have a washroom right above the meter, when the system is running, I can here big banging noise in the washroom, but can barely hear it in garage. Also, the noise is a lot weaker in the basement around the water meter...

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 12:55pm

Quoted from "wsommariva" PVBs are expensive and I would not leave it in the garage unless it never freezes in there. As far as head placement my design on paper didn't relate well to reality. And once I finally settled on a plan, I needed to make a couple adjustments once all my heads were in. But now it's great. Thanks, I don't have other place to put the PVB, garage is the best place for me. Will it be ok I blow out the water from PVB every fall? Still no good? Also, my head placement looks g...

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 9:51am

Quoted from "wsommariva" Don't have to use funny pipe but it makes an easier install. Toro also says that it cushions the heads in high use areas. As far as the flower beds, if they are mulched any extra water won't cause erosion. PVB is a good backflow preventer, double check valves aren't. IMHO. If you can install a PVB use unions so you can take it in in the winter. This one? FEBCO FEU765-100 1 in. PVB Backflow Preventer w/ Union Ball Valve Ends I am in Toronto, so I'll have to winterize the...

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 9:48am

Quoted from "Wet_Boots" Inline dual check valves are not for sprinkler system backflow protection. Once you input your location, specific advice can be given. I am in Toronto. thanks

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 5:37am

Thanks. Yes, flower beds can have same amount of water as grass. Any feedback on the zone, head placement? Quoted from "grey" I believe mainline should be 1". 1/2" is way too small for laterals as well as 3/4" PEX. I think you should use poly pipe for laterals given you are in freezing climate.As far as size goes there's calculations at irrigationtutorials.com but I will be using 1" poly. I have essentially similar static pressure, GPM and supply pipe size. Does flower beds require the same amou...

Monday, June 27th 2011, 10:32pm

Hi, I am so happy to find out this great site! Lots of information for me to learn! I am in the process of design my sprinkler system. I am in Toronto. My land size is 60x120, with a 3000 sq house in the middle. I checked the static water pressure is 65 PSI, the pipe size is all the way 3/4" (from water meter to sprinkler system). So I figured the water flow should be at least 10 GPM. I divided my land to 5 zones, 2 large areas use Rainbird 5004-PC-SAM rotors, 3 small areas uses Rainbird 1804 he...