You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-17 of 17.

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 9:41pm

Author: Matt Dildy

Sprinkler system not working properly. Some zones never turn off

ok so you just bought this house and had these problems right off the bat? how long did this house sit before you purchased it if you have any idea? long term vacant properties, especially ones which the water meter had been turned off and locked can mean all sorts of major issues on initial irrigation system fire up. you have described several issues that have overlapping symptoms and culprits. we also NEED to know if you have a master valve which I am guessing you do, hence zone#6 running for ...

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 11:57am

just an idea

I am new to this forum and may be too opinionated and outspoken for my own good but so far loving it. I do enjoy educating homeowners every chance I get but thinking it would be cool if this forum had a "holy hell look what I found" subject line. a place for irrigation professionals to post pics of some plumbing/controller/wiring nightmare they came across. a "trophy case" so to speak of old irrigation products or one off long time vanished flashes in the pan. heck I am even fascinated by the di...

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 11:39am

Wiring the Pump Start relay

most pumps come with a second leg 230v option but there is really no reason to wire them for 230v. as the previous posters stated if this is something you are at all unsure about....dont do it....call a professional otherwise you run the risk of personal harm and at the very least burning up alot of money on a new pump and pump relay once your have fried the first set.

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 11:19am

Warped Rain Bird MPR nozzles

ok i am a contractor in north texas and have been for years but have noticed something here lately that is very fustrating. we have seen hot summers in the past around here, '98 comes to mind but i have never had an issue with nozzles melting/warping in the heat. 13yrs and have never seen it with one exception, the Global nozzles that hit the market around 2000-2002 and then vanished would melt on you. heck i have even had warped nozzles straight off the vendors (to remain unamed) self that appe...

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 8:08am

Is it normal?

you guys heat funny pipe around barbed fittings!!!!!?????? what the hell???? never have seen, heard of, rumored about or personally heated funny pipe although i have seen ol' school irrigators insist on putting hose clamps on them (why i dont know). here in texas the only heating we do is to lay our rolls of pipe out on the sidewalk or driveway first thing in the morning so they are alittle more pliable by afternoon......heat funny pipe???? hummmm new one on me. BTW love Hunter Flexsg pipe, you ...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 11:04pm

Hunter Solar Sync versus soil sensors

soil senors have been around for decades but have NEVER been reliable. with all the new water conserving measures taking hold in texas soil sensors have been revamped and pushed hard by vendors. the technology is still very unreliable dispite advances. i agree it would be great if we could measure soil moisture onsite but i just dont trust them yet....yet. the Hunter Solar-Sync will be your best option, i have installed quite a few of these without issue. is it a full on weather station? no but ...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 10:38pm

Bad Rainbird Solenoid

<-----pulls retainer out.....those richdel solenoids aside from the retainer havent changed in YEARS and will fit almost any richdel/toro/irritrol valve out there starting with the old green richdel 205 to the very popular (altough i dont know why) irritrol 2400 "jar top" forgot to mention one other thing, the o-rings throughout the years have changed a bit on these solenoids, shouldnt be a problem but worth mentioning, make sure the new solenoid screws in easily without a cross thread and there...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 10:28pm

0 Volts across solenoid

first and foremost that is a huge voltage drop. some drop is expected and even planned for on LARGE properties but typically a non-issue on your standard residental lot (reason these controllers put out 26-28v although these are 24v solenoids). i would guess this particular zone has been out of commision for some time, low voltage at the solenoid can be just as hard on them as high voltage....wears them out FAST, hence a solenoid reading 0ohms. a good solenoid depending on brand should read betw...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 9:36pm

PGV Questions

Quoted from "Central Irrigation" Are we talking "Winterizing Blow Out" or "Flushing the Mainline"? i assumed the original post was talking about new installation "blow out" since they mentioned connecting wires before or after. here in tx since we dont need to winterize irrigation systems "blow out and flush" are used interchangably, both mean the first flush and pressure test on new mainline.

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 3:14pm

perhaps a 2 wire conversion in their future Quoted from "Matt Dildy" money money money! one of those borderline "we will have to start all over from scratch" jobs

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 3:13pm

money money money! one of those borderline "we will have to start all over from scratch" jobs

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 3:07pm

Rain Bird system is not working

this is a very very simplified list to start with #1 do we have water? (is backflow device open, is master valve if present working properly from controller) #2 do we have power? (are you getting 24v-28v across all valve terminals in controller/including master valve if present) #3 are our field wires intact? (check ohms on all field wires, you say you have a rain bird system, if those are rain bird valves they should show 45-55 ohms depending of distance from controller and gage of wire used.) ...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:35pm

rebuilding a Toro Flo Pro valve

agrees with all the previous posters, 13 yrs in business and can say with pride every single toro flow pro i have come across has found itself in the trash pile. not worth the time and effort to rebuild even if it is in a manifold requiring you to cut them all out. ok well to be honest every toro product i have come across has ended up in the trash pile.

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:30pm

New Home: No water to system and not working

Quoted from "nnhubbard" Quoted from "Wet_Boots" If that antisyphon valve is the master valve, then you don't have any real backflow protection. What is backflow protection? oh boy

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:27pm

Burying vs. valve box?

sharp shooters and solenoids dont mix well! course got to love the old systems in which the installer made an attempt by burying the valves with a tin can over them. rusty, sharp buried tin cans and fingers dont mix well either.

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:18pm

PGV Questions

i know i am in the minority here and i see a ton of contractors "blowing out" systems after completely closing up mainline. as an installer i have always left a place in the mainline as far from meter open to "blow out" before plumbing it closed, weather it be a looped or not. like i said i am in the minority but i would rather blow as much of my large debris (if any) out an open ended pipe than force it all through the valves. but hey i have made a pretty penny on properties that were never "bl...

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:08pm

Hunter System will work on manual but not on program

to add to what mitchgo said i would program a "mock" start time to double check controller function before walking away and assuming all is well example: set program A start time #2 for a start just a few minutes from whatever time the controller has (so if its 12:45pm set a start at 1:00pm). make sure whatever day it is you have turned that day on. now sit back and wait, at 1:00pm zone #1 should kick on. turn controller off before it cycles all the way though, we just wanted to see it start. do...