You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-4 of 4.

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 9:34am

Author: Simon

System keeps leaking and banging

Thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated. The leak was eventually stopped by the city in the early afternoon. The guy estimated about 1.5 gallons per minute lost. The sprinkler folks turned up late afternoon and replaced some pvc piping and I think the check valve on the supply side of the backflow preventer with copper or brass. Would have been nice if they had at least come round and stopped the leaking at 7:00 am when they were first notified. I got no decent explanation as to why this...

Wednesday, September 21st 2011, 2:31pm

Thanks for your response. The vibration can be felt in the pipes on the back of the toilet in the house where it is loudest. It is this that I am concerned about eventually breaking. This is unlikley the source of the noise as the water in the house pipes cannot be moving as a check valve was installed. It is likely IMO to be coming from the area where the problems have been and reverberating in the house and seeming louder there. There is no noticeable vibration/banging in the lawn when the sys...

Wednesday, September 21st 2011, 11:34am

They did but it is after the location of the two leaks. From what I understand the system looks something like: meter --> split to house (2) --> back flow preventer --> (1) main shutoff solenoid --> regulator --> rest of system Leaks have occurred at point 1, and I assume point 2. After split to house there is a check valve on the branch that goes to the house. I do not actually have a plan of the system, so up to the back flow preventer is an assumption because it is buried and wasn't installed...

Wednesday, September 21st 2011, 10:38am

We had a sprinkler system professionally installed about 6 weeks ago by a reputable local company. As each zone starts the system makes a whirring noise as the zone fills that can be heard very loudly in the house. This then settles to a rhythmic chugging as sprinklers do their watering. The noise is loud enough that we cannot run the sprinklers at night as they wake us up so we have to run them in the late evening so they finish before we go to bed. Here is a good description of the noise from ...