You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-5 of 5.

Monday, June 25th 2012, 11:28am

Author: AZStang

Controller help

Glad I am able to provoke some "outside of the box" thinking! The citrus needs to be watered to a depth of 24-36" infrequently. They are in an earthen bowl and on flood irrigation. It takes 4" of water in the bowl to penetrate to that depth in our soil. We only get 12" of rain here a year in a good year, so they need much more than that to survive. And the rain sensor could really hurt these trees if they were to miss a watering this time of the year. The other shrubs and smaller plants on the d...

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 6:54pm

Controller help

I started thinking more about that rain sensor and thought of something else. It sounds like it works by interrupting the signal from the controller to the valves and doesn't change any settings on the controller itself. I currently have the citrus tree zone coming on once every five days or so. If it rains on the day the trees are supposed to water, they will miss out and not get water (assuming no more rain falls) until another five days has passed, right? And that little bit of rain won't be ...

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 5:29pm

Controller help

Thanks for clearing that up. I was reading in the manual for that SST controller where it talks about how to set the rain delay duration using the "Rain Delay" button and assumed the rain sensor would function the same as if I pushed the Rain Delay button. I see now that is not the case. I agree too though that it should still function in a useful way and save some water. Thanks, Shawn

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 3:20pm

Controller help

Thanks for the reply. It is an indoor install - should have mentioned that. We currently are in our severe weather season here where it's extremely hot and dry, but rain is hopefully just around the corner. And hopefully it will come down in buckets! A controller that could adjust itself to account for rain would save me some trips over there to constantly adjust it. It looks like the RainBird model you referenced will accept the input from an optional rain sensor. Looks like this one would prob...

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 1:27pm

Controller help

My in-laws recently bought a "winter" home near us in Tucson, AZ. The place only has two irrigation valves. One goes to two citrus trees that are on bubblers and the other goes to a drip system that hits all the shrubs and other plants in the yard. No grass involved here. The current timers are electro mechanical with the dials and pins that you either insert for the length of time you want the valves turned on or remove for the days you want to water. One timer for each valve. I can't divide th...