You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

Thursday, April 29th 2004, 8:26am

Author: FixItDaddy

PVB location, inside or out?

I apoligize for my aggresive remarks. Although I feel I didn't cast the first stone, its no excuse for my being drug into a p**sing contest. I guess I felt as though I was being talked down to, and I was taught to always stand up for myself. houston, thank you, I caught the misspelling of "above" (about), and some missing apostrophe's in my first four posts here. As for those inside the quotes, they are verbatim from aquamatic. As for "through", Webster's shows "thru" as an informal, simplified ...

Wednesday, April 28th 2004, 11:46am

Aquamatic, Maybe if the PVB was properly drained (or mounted inside) it wouldn't have froze and "bursted". As for the reduced pressure zone (yes I know what it is), it should be used if any sprinkler outlet is higher than the backflow preventer. It's usually a last resort to a PVB or AVB since it requires an annual inspection and a rebuild every 5 years. As for education, I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (your spelling and grammar speaks for itself). Thank you for your comments on the sub...

Wednesday, April 28th 2004, 7:24am

Thanks for clarifying things HooKooDooKu. After seeing a cross section of the internal workings of a PVB, I see there is no reason I can't install it indoors. I see that if you were to loose main water supply pressure to the PVB (extremely unlikely), AND you have a situation where backflow pressure was possible (such as downstream plumbing was above the PVB discharge), then water could backflow through the drain vent. But, in my situation where the PVB is mounted more than 12" above grade AND TH...

Wednesday, April 21st 2004, 1:28pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the local code does allow a PVB to be installed indoors. The only requirement is that it be at least 12" about grade(or the highest down stream discharge device). Not sure what you mean when you say "A PVB ( if this is what you do have) is ment to dump water right off the top if you have a problem". I thought it was meant to be an anti-backflow device that is used to protect the potable water supply from backsiphonage. I'm also not sure what you meant when you say "the...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 6:01pm

why not water the sidewalk?

Im sure intentions are good in using the proper design, trying to water just the grass. But as I mentioned before those spray heads almost always get the sidewalk wet anyway. It really doesnt matter though, because that water isn't wasted. It runs off of the sidewalk and onto the lawn. [] Another point to consider is that 3 or 4 large rotors could replace 15 to 20 spray heads and possibly eliminate the need for a zone or 2. Maybe the proper design should be reconsidered? After all, the proper wa...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 5:33pm

pressure problem

I assume the other 4 stations are working ok. You didnt say how much flow/pressure you have or what kind of heads are on the 6th station. 12 heads sounds like a lot of heads for a single zone. It seems that the flow and pressure you need exceed the available flow and pressure. The easiest fix could be to simply change the spray nozzles to lower flow nozzles if possible. If not, then I would consider dividing that station into two 6 head stations. Im guessing you have a 6 station controller, so n...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 2:17pm

why not water the sidewalk?

I dont understand why pro-installers install all those little spray heads trying to avoid spraying the sidewalks. I've never seen a dry walk when the heads are spraying by it. Why not just get it over with and put the big rotors in and be done with it. I checked locally and there's no code against it. Most watering is done in the very early morning, so it really doesnt bother anyone walking by. I just dont get it. The only reason I can think of is more heads means more plumbing, which means more...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 1:51pm

I know most systems have the pvb(pressure/vacuum breaker) mounted outside. But, a friend mounted his inside up in the joists in his basement(the pvb would be high enough above grade to do so). Doing so would allow me to plumb two lines out each side of my house directly to the ideal box locations. The traditional way would be to go out the back to the pvb mounted outside and tee off in both directions around to the sides of the house adding a significant length in piping. Its also a much easier ...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 1:08pm

Manifold Design

pvc "manifold tees" work great. they give you some flexibility on valve arrangement.

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 12:50pm

Copper / PVC manifold connection

As for the copper to pvc transition. My first thought was to use the female copper and male pvc, but... My local plumbing expert (he is very knoledgeable about plumbing codes) recommended using a female pvc with a ss reinforcing band. He said the male pvc could also fail under the compression loads of a pipe thread connection. Im not totally sure if I totally buy it, but I do plan of checking into it further. Also, teflon compound over tape since tape may leak if the joint is backed off and a ma...

Tuesday, April 20th 2004, 12:21pm

Hand Trenching

Here's a couple of other suggestions. Only cut the sod on one side of the trench. Cut under the sod and then fold it back on top of itself. It will fit like a glove when its returned. Also, there is another type of spade called a "tile spade". It has a curved blade that makes it easier to dig in the trench. Hope this helps.[]