You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-8 of 8.

Sunday, August 12th 2012, 5:43pm

Author: mikthebik

Flooded valve boxes & Weathermatic 12000 valves

An update: I installed a new Pressure reg. and dropped the pressure down to 75-80psi(depending on valve elevation). My installer put in a master valve and avoided most all the trenching I thought would be needed. Seems he'd included 3 extra wires from the controller to a valve box installed 4 years ago that was about 30 easy digging feet away from the incoming water line. He used 2 of the wires for the master valve. Additionally he was easily able to find the water line with a water probe. Thing...

Saturday, August 4th 2012, 7:09pm

OK, I've got a pretty big problem with the pressure. Couldn't find the meter I used to measure 100PSI and found my spare. It read 128PSI.. Yikes! Picked up a couple more at different stores today as a check. All are made in China.. Bottom line is all read 128 PSI.. OK, played with the pressure reg and no difference. It appears to have regulated it's last... Sooo, I need to rent a trencher and cut accross the 30' wide area that the feed pipe is buried in (somewhere). Until I do that and find the ...

Friday, August 3rd 2012, 3:05pm

CI. The flow rate measured on one of, what appears to be, the higher flowing circuits is 12.16 GPM and the feed pipe size from the valve is 1"(The valves are 1" valves). The lowest valve is about5 15-20 feet below the highest. Wet_Boots. Thanks. I hadn't realized the amount of hammer was a function of the length of upstream & flow, but it makes perfect sense. The pressure reg is about 400' upstream, but there is no backflow device(it's an ag line that doesn't require one), so am wondering if the...

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 3:29pm

The pressure is set that high on the reg. Our normal pressure at the meter is somewhere between 125# - 150#. I don't have a hosebibb between the meter & reg., so I'm going by memory of when we did the fresh install several years ago. The water coming to the house with the 18 weathermatics is now set to 100PSI(measured at the highest point next to a set of the valves). That's what we decided on, as I recall, to run the circuits for best coverage. I believe my irrigation guy had faith that the par...

Thursday, August 2nd 2012, 12:41pm

I'll look into Weathermatic brass. I did forget to mention there already is a brass pressure regulator. It's around 450' from the valves to the pressure regilator. I may just put the master valve just behind the PV. Once past the 250' mark, the last 200' is an easy, flat slope. Having the PV & MV in one spot would prolly be a good thing. I'm definitely a fan of unions. That's my one big gripe about my installer's valve installs.. No unions. I over torqued one of the bolts on a Weathermatic valve...

Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 11:34am

Thanks all. I'll have to evaluate the difficulty of putting in a MV. Reaching a point of the feed line before all valves is a minimum 250 ft run, hilly and accross at least one "farm" road. Added to that is the need to enclose all wiring in gopher proof shielding(pvc pipe). I suspect that's what I'll try first... Any suggestions for a good choice of valve to use as a master?? What about brass vs. plastic? Thanks again, MikeC

Tuesday, July 31st 2012, 11:50am

Thanks .. Can you tell me why? I've not used a master valve before. Will it limit the hammering to the downstream valves or???

Monday, July 30th 2012, 5:36pm

I know this has been hashed about before. Very useful advice in thread: Leaking Weathermatic 12000 valves My situation: The whole system was installed in May of 2009. New house after fire in San Diego in 2007. Excellent Hunter controller controlling(what I percieve) are 18x one inch marginally designed Weathermatic 12000 valves. These valves are supposedly rated at 150psi(I think that's the explosion pressure). Sorry so negative, but I've had to clean and replace the diaphrams in most all of the...