You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

Friday, August 15th 2014, 9:25pm

Author: bcsteeve

Valve selection... all the same or tailored? Which would you use?

Hi. I'm putting in a 7 zone system for my house. All drip, no overhead sprinklers at all. I am replacing a tired and poorly designed 5-zone so I have 5 Irritrol valves (I don't recall the product number but you can bet they were the cheapest available in 2005). I'm sure it would be economical to re-use what I have... but part of me really wants all new parts. One of the 5 leaks anyway. I've been reading product literature all day but I'm no closer to deciding on a valve or valves. And that's the...

Saturday, August 2nd 2014, 4:07pm

Little confused on backflow

Just an FYI to the people that run this site... I only just now got a notification that someone replied to this thread (I did NOT get a notification back in early July when they apparently did reply to the thread). The email headers suggest it was just sent now.

Tuesday, July 1st 2014, 12:46pm

Well, while we're still on this topic... I appreciate your advice about tightening regs down the road, but I think I'll just deal with it at that time if it ever comes. Unless I'm missing something, I see really zero sense in my using "proper" backflow protection if I know for a fact that nobody else using the system has it. Why spend that money if it is vastly more likely the contamination will come from someone else? I fully understand that the United States has determined this device is insuf...

Tuesday, July 1st 2014, 8:02am

Surely you can't think its a good idea to promote your business through blatant spamming? It is obvious that an enclosure isn't a "solution" in this discussion at all. Actually, an enclosure can't be a "solution" for backflow. Are you suggesting that by putting your enclosure on my property prevents backflow? Gee, that was easy. Post reported. Good luck getting customers with this kind of behavior.

Tuesday, June 10th 2014, 4:25pm

Your statements are consistent with other guides I've read. I find it pretty strange they would have such lax codes in an area where, supposedly, we have the highest quality drinking water in the world. We also have frequent fires to contend with (I know most people hear "Canada" and think snow, but here in the Okanagan Valley, we're actually in Canada's only desert. It is hot and dry here for 8 months of the year). Higher probability of hydrant use + higher than most irrigation frequency = high...

Tuesday, June 10th 2014, 12:28pm

Oh yeah. Sorry, meant to write that. I'm in the District of West Kelowna in British Columbia, Canada. I actually just got off the phone with one of the city's engineers. She told me it is normal for the dual check valve. Odd thing... she said the reason they don't recommend double check valves is because any valve that CAN be inspected, MUST be inspected... and that's an annual cost to the owner. OK, I get that, but if its the right thing for the job, shouldn't it just be a requirement? I also d...

Monday, June 9th 2014, 10:44pm

The only reference to backflow prevention that I can find on the city's website is this simple statement: Quoted A Backflow Protection device (Dual Check valve for residential) is required for irrigation connections. A Plumbing Permit is required for the Backflow Protection device. So I guess that means they feel this valve is good enough.

Monday, June 9th 2014, 10:23pm

Reading the guides here and at irrigationtutorials.com, I start to think they screwed up when they built this house. Everything seems to talk about backflow prevention as something that's outside the house. In my house, where the water line branches off for the irrigation there is a Watts No. 7 dual check valve (not a double check valve) and I suppose that's meant as the backflow prevention. That is inside the house in a heated space. From there, the line goes outside where there is a shutoff fo...

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 10:54am

Possible to design to avoid winter blow-out?

I don't know what you mean. I think you mean to install this drain inside (so it doesn't freeze) at the lowest point on the line after the shut-off... but I'm not sure how that would give me any "visual evidence" for two reasons: First, the low point is inside a wall, presumably immediately before it exits the building. I can't tell exactly, but it appears to grade down as far as I can see, and I think the exterior pipe is a foot or two lower than the interior one... but I can only see the pipe ...

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 6:24pm

I appreciate the response. Tell me... am I asking too much of the new fancy "smart" digital water meter then? Because from time to time I'll check it to tell me if there are any leaks. I do that by ensuring nothing is (deliberately) running, then I activate the meter (you shine a flashlight at the sensor so the display turns on) and it shows me that the flow is 0.000000 cubic meters per minute. So for it to not detect a leaky shut off valve, the flow would have to be extremely minimal, or its ju...

Tuesday, May 20th 2014, 4:44pm

I might be going about this all wrong, I don't know. Hello. Every fall I pay to get my system blown out, and every spring there's some damage... usually a cracked elbow somewhere. This year, the damage is quite extensive. I had to tear out my whole manifold because of poor access, because of a cracked fitting between two valves. After fixing that, I find out there's a line broken somewhere in the yard. I don't know if its a poorly designed/built system or if the blow-out guy just has no clue wha...