You are not logged in.

Search results

Search results 1-4 of 4.

Thursday, August 31st 2023, 10:53am

Author: lawnperson

Need advice and suggestions on 36 year old system

Mrfixit, thanks for uploading my pictures for me. I could not find any instructions on how to do it, so tried Dropbox. I got 8 heads replaced this morning. 4 Full Circle and 4 Half Circle. I began by installing just one Full Circle with 3.0 nozzle (2.7 gpm) and left the other lines capped (except for a test gauge at one of the head locations). Then I installed 3 more Full Circle (9 gpm total demand @ 2.26 gpm each). Finally I installed the 4 Half Circle @ 1.5 nozzles (1.12 gpm). Total demand of ...

Wednesday, August 30th 2023, 4:56am

Thanks mrfixit for your additional insight. Yes, the control valves are old (original to system). If I ever have to work on them, I will rework the manifold(s) then, but will leave as is for now. One more bit of info, just in case this makes a difference. At the time the system was installed and tested, we had flow / pressure problems right at the start with the most demanding zone(s). The installer suggested increasing the pipe size from the water meter to the vacuum breaker from 1" to 2". I am...

Tuesday, August 29th 2023, 11:02am

More info on 36 year old system

I took some pressure readings today. At 11 am, STATIC pressure at vacuum breaker was 47 psi. With the zone running (6 heads) that is furthest from the VB, WORKING pressure at VB was 37 psi, or 10 psi less than STATIC. I had removed the 7th and last head on that zone and installed a pressure gauge there. It read 22 psi (+/-), or 15 psi less than at VB. Pressure at VB was also measured earlier, and it ranged from 46 psi at 3 am, to 40 psi at 4 am, to 38 psi at 5 am (when I could see some of my nei...

Monday, August 28th 2023, 7:15am

I know, the simplest answer would be to replace it, but I believe in building things to last and repairing them when necessary. My two main problems are rotor heads that don't rotate as they should, and low pressure / water flow. I have ordered new RainBird 5000+ rotor heads from the forum sponsor, which I hope will fix the first problem (Original heads were Hunter and have had numerous problems over the years with them failing to rotate). System is connected to 1" city water meter (share meter ...