You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sorcer

Unregistered

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 2:38pm

Can I use drip on a hill to water grass?

I have a strip of grass 11' wide that is sloped at about 25%. It is ~70' long. It is in the front yard, up against a stucco fence. There is a 1' concrete mow orcer between the wall and the grass. I've been wrestling with my sprinklers for years, trying to stay ahead of the kids breaking them, dead spots, etc etc.

now I'm wondering if I should chnge strategies. I'm thinking a drip line at the top of the hill, that spans the whole strip of grass, may work. Any comments?

P.S. I found this dripline - LD0912-100 - Rain Bird Landscape Dripline-0.9gph @ 12 inch spacing-100ft, and am wondering if I should move forward. I just need to know if it might work, and how to connect to existing sprinkler line or valve - all the sprinklers that water the hill (about 12) are connected to the same valve.

Thanks. It's either a new watering method, or the grass or I have to go ;-)

--
Sorcer

mrfixit

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 4:05pm

Comment

I have a comment. NO!!! First of all, I doubt you can get drip to cover that grass. Drip isn't intended to water a lawn. Second of all, that dripline will give you many more problems as far as maintenance goes. I suggest you fix the existing sprinklers once more. Let's do it correctly this time. Can you give us the spacing on the heads and what is installed? Do you have sprinklers on both sides of the lawn? Are there sprinklers in the corners?
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 7:40pm

subsurface drip for grass on a slope

Certainly CAN be done. Much preparation is esential. Rather than describe it here, visit the Netafim Website.

http://www.netafim.com/Irrigation_Products/Landscape_Drip_Products/Integral_Dripperlines/Pressure_compensated[1376]/&mod=search&searchWords=techline&st_id_search=2006&time=0&sub=1

Fill out the part for more info. They will send you a brocure describing how to do what you want.

That said, Subsurface irrigation of grass is labor intensive up front. The dripperlines need to be connectted to manifolds, and spacing between the lines (and flow rate) depends on topography and soil type. They are best buried at least 6 inches deep (to avoid aeration spikes), and need special considerations to prevent root intrusion. Of the several brands, Netafim seems preferred.

Have Fun. Jeff

mrfixit

Sunday, July 6th 2008, 9:18pm

Supplies

So Jeff, how many feet of dripline will this homeowner have to bury to water 770 sq.ft of lawn?
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Monday, July 7th 2008, 1:46am

Hmmm. Lets see. 70 feet long and 11 feet wide. Depending on soil type, and actual contour, not more than 770 feet. Techline CV at 0.4 on 1 foot spacing probably would work. Really hard to say without seeing it. I think I mentioned it would be labor intensive, but doable. Nice thing about forums like this is you can get several opinions.

Perhaps the best advice is to suggest the author (sorcer) contact someone locally who is knowledgeble and can do a site visit and discuss feasible options. Jeff

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Monday, July 7th 2008, 12:13pm

Netafim booklet on subsurface irrigation

Sorcer: Had more time to find the info on Netafim subsurface which might help you. Sorry, not computer savy enough to give you a direct link, but this will take you to their main page on Techline CV and there are several downloadable (pdf & others) that will be most helpful. One in the upper right corner under the "Whats New" column is a 50 page "Subsurface Irrigation Guide" downloadable pdf on just the topic you asked about. Enjoy. Jeff

http://www.netafim-usa-landscape.com/indexal.php