You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Robertinohio

Unregistered

Wednesday, October 1st 2008, 9:16pm

Help needed repairing 1 1/4 pipe, and can I use flex pipe coming out of house?

Hi I have 2 questions. 1. I accidentally cut my in ground pipe for sprinker system when digging my beds. I have it uncovered. Its right at the top of the bed and easy to get to. The pipe is black and appears to be 1 1/4 thick. There is a gash in the pipe. Should i use slip pipe. or coupler? I am having hard time finding the pipe/and the parts. if I order just a piece of pipe, I only need about 6" on this site, I only saw pipe smaller than what I need, plus it comes in big rolls. (2) coming out of my house there is a metal pipe that makes a 90 degree turn down. this connects up standard hard pvc pipe that goes into the ground over to the box where all the valves etc connect. Anyway, the threaded pvc piece that went into the metal pipe cracked. so i need to replace about a 2' section. this section is removable. there is a union 2' below the end of the metal pipe. so it can be removed. my question is can i use flex pvc pipe? the rigid is what i have now. but my guess is that it cracked due to moving of the pipes, since its not a perfect line. where the metal pipe ends and where the pvc goes into the ground is about 10 degrees different. so the rigid pvc pipe is at a slight angle. can i use rigid if temp in cleveland ohio gets to about 30 below. if not, do you know where i can get a 1" union and a 1" slip to 3/4 threaded reducer. thanks

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 1st 2008, 9:31pm

Since this sounds like a main line pipe (pipe under constant pressure) when they system is ready during the summer, I would suggest rigid PVC pipe. As for the 10 degree angle, that can be made using two 90 degree elbows. Other wise, many places have 1" PVC unions as well as 1" to 3/4" threaded bushings.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 9:45am

Come back with some photos. What's your location?

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 2nd 2008, 1:02pm

Sand and shock ( thrust ) blocks

- 30 degrees. That is cold., So I suspect in Cleveland, Ohio, the ground wound definitely freezes around these pipes. If so, I think HooKooDooKu is correct. You did not mention soil type, but I suspect Clay. Try Backfilling with sand. It might cushion any shifting. Probably should install some shock (thrust) blocks on those El's, while you are at it.

Don't mix clay and sand as the backfill, because what you get is cement. I would dig out around the pipes at least 1 foot, then after your repairs, and instalation of shock block back fill with builders sand. I use brick at the downstream end of any el's on the mainline. Place them against the el so they will absorb most of the down stream "thrust". Always turn on the water slowly to avoid sudden bursts.

Jeff

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 3rd 2008, 9:31am

Officially complaining to the site owner - please persuade the fine folks posting question that there is real value in disclosing their location before they even post a single word, so that it shows up left of their post, under their user name.

Saturday, October 4th 2008, 6:21am

Officially complaining to the site owner - please persuade the fine folks posting question that there is real value in disclosing their location before they even post a single word, so that it shows up left of their post, under their user name.

Forwarding your post.

Pete

Rate this thread