You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 4:59pm

Please help...dont know what is going on...

I have a 3/4 T value that goes into a Febco 3/4 backflow preventor that then goes to into four 1" rainbird valves.

Ran it last year with no issues. This winter my neighbor told me the winter box was making a hissing noise. I took the cover off and the water was coming out of the bottom of the backflow. So I turned off the T valve and opened all the valves manually to release any pressure in the lines. I left them open.

I went out this afternoon to turn the valves off and turn the timer back on and get everything going again because it looks like winter is done here and now when I run everything I am still getting water out of the backflow.

I have tried opening two valvues and letting it run, taking the head off of one of the heads, I have opened and closed all the valves in every order I can think off and everything I do I still get water shooting out of the back flow. I installed this myself last summer.

Any advise is appreciated.
PLEASE HELP!!! ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 5:59pm

Maybe that "hissing noise" was water flowing from a crack in the backflow preventer, and it's still cracked, and needs replacement.

Friday, February 13th 2009, 6:48am

I am not super sure that is what it is. The hissing was just the water that was flowing out of the backflow hitting the weather cover.

I had this same issue when I first installed the system with the water flowing backwards, but it went away on its own once I got more of the system hooked up so I didnt give it a second thought.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, February 13th 2009, 1:55pm

That sure SOUNDS like, despite the cover, that a freeze came through, froze (at least some) of the water in the backflow and busted it. After all, a system doesn't go from "working just fine" to "water flowing out of it" without something happenning. Obviously during the winter months, the most common "something" is going to be a freeze.

Tuesday, March 24th 2009, 10:08am

What type of backflow is it? RPZ? PVB?

It is not a valve problem. Are you actively looking at the backflow when it's hissing? Check the obvious: are inspection ports completely closed off? Are there any cracks in the body of the backflow? If the backflow is double check, open the first handle (in direction of water flow), but close the second handle that goes to the valves. Turn the main water on and let the backflow fill (make sure all your valves are closed). After the backflow fills and provided there is no "hissing" open the second handle to charge water up to the valves (are they far away from the backflow?) See if this seals the backflow. If not, repost with your results for another solution.

www.OSLSprinkler.com

Rate this thread