You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

0Ni0N

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 7:58am

woke up to hammering / oscillating pipes

I woke up early this morning to repeated hammering (oscillating?) of my 1994 home's copper pipes. Coincidentally, this is about the time the sprinkler system finished. I had to turn off the water supply to the house to get it to stop. Sprinkler system is 2 yrs old and has an RPZ installed. This has never happened before. Any ideas? Do I need to add a water hammer arrest device to the supply line for the sprinkler system? Before I do anything, I will run the sprinkler system again to try to get it to happen again.

Thanks.

0Ni0N

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 8:36am

Observe the RPZ device when the watering is finished.

0Ni0N

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 9:29am

woke up to hammering / oscillating pipes

RPZ emits a little water from bottom port during system operation. The ground underneath it is usually a little wet, nothing too major. It was the same this morning.

0Ni0N

mrfixit

Thursday, April 29th 2010, 1:39pm

Water hammer can be a major pain in the you know what. Sometimes it's simple to figure others it's a nightmare. All I know is the water hammer arrestors I've installed didn't do a dang bit of good. I've only installed two though because they didn't work.

I'd listen for hammering around the valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 30th 2010, 11:04am

If the RPZ isn't the source of the hammer, then the zone valves come next. Throttle down the flow controls.

Percy

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 5:42am

It could be air in the pipes or even an under-sized water meter, especially if it is a steady thumping at an even pace.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 4th 2010, 8:21pm

Find out which zones are constantly making the sound. Usually it will be
always 1 or 2 of the valves and maybe the master valve too if there is
one. Find and locate these valves and change the diaphragms.

I
know it is too easy to make sense, just do it.

Dan
hi.todd
:thumbsup: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: