You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kena48

Wednesday, June 16th 2010, 7:39pm

Several Zones Seeping During Entire Program

I have a Rainbird ESP-LX 20 with 80 heads on 18 zones. About 6 yrs old and no recent work, except my 2HP water pump was recently changed. I'm the original owner, and hired someone to install it.

When I manually start zone 1, or let my single program a manually start, zones 1, 2, & 4 all seep water together. Therefore all the 18 zones are very weak, because those zones are all staying on seeping water and puddling throughout the program.

The first problem I noticed, was that zone 18 never really shut off and seeped all day. I ran it a few times and it finally shut off.

I unplugged the unit, went back to factory settings, put in date etc and programmed each zone to run ten min's. When I manually started the program, same thing - 3 seeping zones. If I manually start zone 1, zones 2 and 4 join in. If I run zone 3, another comes on with it. Any ideas? I thought my control box may be haywire due to lightning or something.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 17th 2010, 5:01am

Does the pump run constantly when the system is on? You might dismantle a sticking valve to examine the insides for debris. Occasionally, new pumps in deep wells can bring up some sand.

kena48

Thursday, June 17th 2010, 9:39pm

Wet_Boots,

I think you may be right. After turning two of the three seeping zones on & off a few times, they finally turned completely off. So my current problem is - zone 3 comes on with any & all zones, even when I disconnect it's wire in the control box. So that vlv must be stuck open.

When I turn on a zone loctaed down hill from it, it seeps, instead of being full on, so that lower zone is getting the best water pressure.

I wish I new where that valve was... That sticking zone three seems to be where the water first comes under the drive way for the 1st three zones. So, it probablty was closest to the trash that came up when the new pump went in - and yes, it's a deep one.

kena48

Thursday, June 17th 2010, 9:42pm

Also, can anyone recommend a reputable repair person here in Oklahoma City? I called two and lft voice,mails with no call backs. What's a reasonable price, say to replace a valve?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 18th 2010, 8:25am

If this install is one where the pump only runs when a zone is on, that may be a continuing problem for some control valves. Zone valves don't really shut off tight unless there's water pressure to supply the closing force. New valves might be needed, or maybe there are flow controls on the valves that can be turned down to improve their performance. One not-cheap possibility is to have a small pressure tank in the supply, and have a pressure switch control the pump operation.

kena48

Saturday, June 19th 2010, 9:48am

I ran that zone 3 (that wouldn't shut off) for an hour hoping to free it of sand. This morning everything works OK! So for the moment, it's all working fine.

But, all the zones seem to need more pressure. My 2hp well pump drives the house and sprinklers. The guy who recenty changed it, also put in a giagantic in-house pressure tank.

At static my water pressure reads 61psi. When a zone is turned in, it drops to 26. After the zone shuts off, it creeeps up to 65, then gradiually returns to 61 and holds. Is this about right?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 20th 2010, 3:47pm

If you have them, flow controls on the zone valves can be turned down a bit, and that will improve valve life and performance. If you do have sand in the water, you might need some filtration.

-

If that pressure gauge is accurate, you would want the pump turning on at a higher pressure than 26 psi, but you might be okay as it is, as long as the pump isn't cycling on and off during the watering. If 26 psi is all the pressure the pump can supply during operation, then there could be some changes required.

kena48

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 8:15pm

Well, I bought my way out of this. Hired a guy to come look ayt it. They found two valves sticking on all the time - causing the problem. I would recommend these guys for Oklahoma area - Al-right Irrigation.

Rate this thread