You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Emblazed

Unregistered

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 10:30am

RD-900 Display Flickers when (trying) to fire up a zone.

History of my system.

Worked fine at the start of the year. Turned it off for a week for house repairs. Noticed last night that the system was not working.

Visual inspection.

When starting a zone or a full run on the system the LCD display flickers oddly and then acts as if the clock needs to be set. (time flashing). Trying to fire up a single zone does the same but rather then return to the clock flashing it just reports that the zone is off. This happens to all zones.

Trying a zone I can see that the MV and all zone valves seem to be receiving power yet ( can hear and see the cycloid motor move a bit) so wiring maybe ok.

Any ideas would be great, I would like to fix myself with out calling in someone.

Emblazed.

mrfixit

Saturday, July 24th 2010, 5:53pm

I ran across three seperate RainDials this year that were acting bizzarly. One was doing exactly as you've described. The controller does work however via the programming but flickers wildly when operated manually. She's still using the controller because it seems to work and she never runs it manually. Time will tell. So i'm suggesting that there's a possibilty that your controller also may work via the programming and there's another reason the sprinklers don't come on. I do however suggest you replace the controller. You'll know for sure then if you have an additional problem.

You can try resetting the controller by unplugging it and taking out the back up battery.

Also make sure the faceplate is plugged in all the way to the circuit board.

Check and see if there's actually water at the valves. Sometimes painters or home repairmen will shut off the water so their work doesn't get wet and forget to turn it back on.

Emblazed

Unregistered

Monday, July 26th 2010, 9:36am

Running it programmed resulted in each zone BUZZING for the time set by the program. This had a hidden value to me, in that I now know the location of all my valves. Anyway are problems pointing more to the controller be broken or is the buzzing of each valve point to other problems. Maybe not enough power from the controller to open the valves?

Thanks

mrfixit

Monday, July 26th 2010, 5:33pm

Sometimes solenoids buzz. Could be the controller. Could be the wiring.

None of your valves are working. There's probably ONE cause for that.

One of the three RainDials I looked at made the solenoids pulsate. It also did the same wild flashing when I reset it.

I'm still suggesting you replace the controller.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/search/search.asp?Extensive_Search2=N&keywords=raindial

Do you have a master valve? Maybe that hidden valve is the master valve. Is it working?

***Do you have water at the valves?*** Please confirm this. Open a bleeder screw.

Emblazed

Unregistered

Monday, July 26th 2010, 5:50pm

When a zone starts the sprinklers go up and water for about a second and then they return underground with the valve buzzing. At the end of the same zone running they popup again and return before switching to the next zone.

To me it seems that the controller is not sending enough power to the valve for the duration of the run time.

I do have a master valve.

thx jer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 27th 2010, 10:48am

Time for a new controller - cut your losses.

Rate this thread