You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sleepybp

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 11:43am

Pump filter is clogging up with dirt/sand after just 1 minute of operation

Ive got a problem here where 2 of my zones are picking up too much dirt when they run and are clogging my pump filter within 1 to 2 minutes of run time. I noticed this issue after a week of very heavy rain, and I know some say that a little bit of flooding could let dirt back into the system through the heads. But When I check these zones (1 zone at a time) It appears that all heads are now now spraying normally. These zones will run fine for 1 to 2 minutes then lose pressure as the pump filter clogs with dirt. How can I find where dirt is getting into system if all heads are spraying? Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 1:06pm

Heads have nothing to do with a pump filter clogging. It all goes back to the (as yet undisclosed) water source.

Sleepybp

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 1:28pm

Ok the water source is a well in my central Florida neighborhood in Merritt Island. I've been told that my well is about 230 ft deep as opposed to most my neighbors that are at about 120ft. With their wells being more shallow they have the rusty looking water coming out when it hits their house etc. My wells water has been cleaner no rust look on areas where it hits a house or whatever. How can this be a water source issue if one of my 3 zones runs just fine with almost no dirt getting into pump filter? The other 2 zones fill my pump filter with dirt after about 1 minute of operation. Looking for more ideas guys please help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 7:20pm

Wells pump sand. Some more than others. If one zone's operation is not leading to clogging, then you look very hard and find the answer to the question "What's different about this zone?" - Sight unseen, one might guess that the one zone has a lower flow than the others.

sleepybp

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 7:23pm

Ok thanks for the ideas, I will continue to look around. I look for about an hour a day until the mosquito's chase me off.