You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

miket

Saturday, April 8th 2006, 4:25pm

Febco 825Y

I have a Febco 825Y backflow installed as a prevention device on my irrigation system. Last year we had an early freeze and the backflow froze and sprung a leak. As it was the end of the season, I just winterized the system. I spoke with a local irrigation company and they are quoting me $250+ for a replacement.

Can anyone tell me if i can rebuild the system with a "kit, and if so what the approx. cost will be?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 8th 2006, 5:48pm

That is a good price...let them do it.

Problem w/ freeze damage on 825y is that some of the EXTERNAL parts could be cracked/warped and you won't know until you install the kit. If you want to tackle it, go ahead and buy the kit but make sure they will take it back....

Of course it will always be cheaper to repair something yourself..then have it replaced or repaired by others..but what is your time worth?

Why isn't the company offering to repair rather than replace? Ask them....they will probably tell you the same thing I have mentioned.
Good Luck
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 9th 2006, 6:23am

I wouldn't count on any company offering to <u>repair</u> frozen backflow preventers for a fixed price. If broken parts are replaced, and the device fails to function because of a hidden crack or metal warpage, then there is no choice but to replace the entire device.

Even though the Febco 825Y is a solidly constructed device, freezing water will destroy it. I never try to rebuild one, since the metal will be warped from freeze damage.

miket

Monday, April 10th 2006, 1:40pm

I have found a new 825Y online for ~$150.00(including shipping charges). This looks like a great price.(?)

I have installed an entire irrigation system in the past, with the help of a professional, and am sure that I can replace it. At this point it sounds like the sensible thing to do. What do you think?

Mike

BSME

Advanced Member

Wednesday, April 12th 2006, 5:23am

like sprinklerguy said... depends on what your time is worth...

You'll have to buy some other fittings still but you look like you might save $100.

$250 is a good price to have a pro come replace it for you though...

Rate this thread