You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

newbieLawnGuy

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 10:43pm

Risers or Larger Heads?

I recently moved into my house and some of my sprinkler heads need some TLC. The sprinkler heads are 2.5'' Rain Birds that were probably the perfect height when they were installed. However, the turf has grown so high that they now sit in a deep hole. When the sprinklers turn on, the heads don't pop up high enough out of the hole and then I'm left with a puddle. I've tried trimming back the grass and trying to create a more gentle slope, but I really think I need to just elevate them.

Here's the question. Do I use risers or do I replace the heads with 4" ones? What are the pros and cons of each approach or is one of those appraches just plain dumb?

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 12:54am

RE: Risers or Larger Heads?

Do I use risers or do I replace the heads with 4" ones? What are the pros and cons of each approach or is one of those appraches just plain dumb?
How high are you cutting the grass? If it's 2 1/2" to 3" then you will need to replace the heads with a 4" head. If the grass is being cut at less than 2", then your heads will work.

I've installed thousands of heads, and only one was a 2 1/2" head, and that one was because there was concrete under it, and I couldn't get a 4" head in that spot..

To get the heads at the proper height, you will have to dig them up and re-adjust them. Hopefully thay are already installed with swing joints and it'll only be a matter of re-positioning the swing joint and head to the proper height. The surface of the head, should be flush with the surface of the ground. The pop-up when extended, should reach up and over the turf.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Swing-Joints-s/6837.htm

If your heads were installed with risers with the tee fitting in the verticle position, I would remove the riser and install a swing joint with an extra fitting.

With a swing joint installed (properly), you should never have to replace a broken head again.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 1st 2010, 1:41pm

Do yourself a favor and never buy a 2 1/2 inch Rainbird pop up. They're cheap toys. What you want is the 1800 series Rainbird. Spend the extra dollar. The nozzle from your 2 1/2 inch will fit the 1800.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-1800-Series-Sprinkler-Spray-p/1804.htm

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 1:09am

Do yourself a favor and never buy a 2 1/2 inch Rainbird pop up. They're cheap toys. What you want is the 1800 series Rainbird. Spend the extra dollar. The nozzle from your 2 1/2 inch will fit the 1800.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-1800-Series-Sprinkler-Spray-p/1804.htm

Not sure if you've noticed, but the OP isn't asking if he should purchase 2 1/2" heads. He already has them.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 4:26pm

doesn't matter - if a 1804 body can serve as a screw-in replacement for the originals, then go for it.