You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dwinmac

Saturday, September 4th 2010, 3:28pm

Can I use a simple Shrader Valve?

My Rain Bird system has drain valves at the low spots for the 1800 type sprinkler heads and drain valves in the bottom inlet of the Maxi Paw sprinkler heads (water connected to side inlet). If I want to be extra cautious with winterization can I use simple Shrader Valves in a TEE in each of the zones in the PVC pipe after the CP-100 valves? If so how much air pressure should be applied to make sure I do no damage to the system.

The zone control valves and the Anti Siphon valve (ahead of the control valves) are all in my basement. The Shrader valves would be in the basement as well in the lines going out through the basement wall.

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 3:41am

RE: Can I use a simple Shrader Valve?

If I want to be extra cautious with winterization can I use simple Shrader Valves in a TEE in each of the zones in the PVC pipe after the CP-100 valves?

If so how much air pressure should be applied to make sure I do no damage to the system.

The zone control valves and the Anti Siphon valve (ahead of the control valves) are all in my basement. The Shrader valves would be in the basement as well in the lines going out through the basement wall.

It's not what I would recommend. I would go with a hose bibb on a tee.

No more that 50 - 55 psi, but you will need a continuous air flow to do it properly. You will be taking chances with small home-owner compressors.

I would also check your plumbing code. I'm not sure what the code is in the USA, but in Canada, it's not legal to have PVC or irrigation valves inside your home. But then again, I'm assuming, since you didn't tell us what part of the planet that you call home.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 5th 2010, 1:47pm

Schraeder valves are useless for winterizing a sprinkler system. Hire it done, and watch.

Rate this thread