You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

subopt

Wednesday, September 22nd 2010, 6:04pm

Replacing Rainbirds with Hunter PGPs

I'd like to replace 3 Rainbird maxi-paw impacts with Hunter PGPs. One Rainbird doesn't retract, and the other one doesn't rotate. The Hunter PGPs run flawlessly and are quiet so seems to be a no brainer. What I'm wondering is, aside from the PGPs, what parts do I need to perform this conversion? Should I first dig up the Rainbirds first to determine the depth or is it standard. Thanks.

mrfixit

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 1:58am

You definetly have to dig it up to see what you'll need. Maxi-Paws have two inlets. You need to see how it's connected. Nothing's standard. Swing joints are probably your best bet.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/search/search2.asp?Extensive_Search2=N&keywords=hunter+swing+joints

You could convert your existing Maxi-Paws to PGP's without doing any digging with retrofit rotors. You would need a tool to unscrew the innards of the Maxi-Paw. Clean it out with a hose first.

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-PGP-ATR-PGP-Impact-Replacement-Rotor-p/pgp-atr.htm

subopt

Thursday, September 23rd 2010, 10:26am

Ok thanks. Actually only one is a maxi paw -- the other two are Rainbird impacts with no model #. They just say Glendora, CA and have a patent # -- probably very old.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 24th 2010, 9:37am

Just install new heads and don't bother with adapter(s)

Rate this thread