You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

reduck

Tuesday, May 24th 2011, 7:44pm

watts bpd causing sudden pressure loss?

system is about 7 yrs old. On a well. watts wa100m4 fr BPD. it has been working ok since start up in April.
Sunday, I noticed some of the heads weren't popping up. At the same time the wife noticed a huge drop in water pressure at the sink.
Turned irrigation off and sink pressure came back.
Went to look into it today and noticed a little drippage at the BPD. So I shut off the house side valve to inspect the bonnet and poppet.
Seemed ok. So I cranked it back on. Just as I reached full pressure I noticed a spray coming out of the back side of the ball valve.
It stopped as soon as the valve charged.
Obviously its cracked, but there is no water leaking when its in running position.
Weird?
I ordered a replacement unit for piece of mind...but still wondering if this crack is causing the loss in water pressure.
And how, since water isn't spewing out all the time?
Hoping its not the well pump dying!

thanks,
R

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 12:27am

Is the crack on the side of the ball valve handle? If it is then it's because it's a ball valve. As your turning the ball, the opening inside allows the water to hit the crack, as it's fully turned on- the ball opening isnt touching anymore.

I see this happen all the time.

Sounds to me that what ever zone that the heads weren't popping up has a broken pipe and or broken sprinkler head.. Walk around the zone and look for a break

reduck

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 11:31am

Is the crack on the side of the ball valve handle? If it is then it's because it's a ball valve. As your turning the ball, the opening inside allows the water to hit the crack, as it's fully turned on- the ball opening isnt touching anymore.

I see this happen all the time.

Sounds to me that what ever zone that the heads weren't popping up has a broken pipe and or broken sprinkler head.. Walk around the zone and look for a break

It is on the back of the ball valve so you are right about that.
I am waiting on the replacement to take care of that issue.
As for the broken pipe or heads, all my zones act the same. It appears that I lost considerable line pressure.
I have the well guy coming over to investigate as I believe the water pressure dropped everywhere including the house.
I will update after his visit.
thanks,
R

reduck

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 2:27pm

As for the broken pipe or heads, all my zones act the same. It appears that I lost considerable line pressure.
I have the well guy coming over to investigate as I believe the water pressure dropped everywhere including the house.
I will update after his visit.
thanks,
R

pressure tank bladder ruptured. that was the house/sprinkler pressure drop.

the watts bpd will be replaced to fix that crack issue...

thanks for the advise!

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 11:31pm

you don't have to replace the entire thing.. You can just replace the shut off handle .. preferably try to find a watts #1 shut off valve.

reduck

Friday, May 27th 2011, 6:20am

you don't have to replace the entire thing.. You can just replace the shut off handle .. preferably try to find a watts #1 shut off valve.

awesome! thanks!