You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

altonirwin

Sunday, June 25th 2006, 11:06am

How to fix or replace old in-line Rainbird valves?

I have a Rainbird system that is probably about 15+ years old. I have two in-in valves that are not working properly (can hear them click and hum, but water to the sprinkler heads is either non-existent or pooling in the lowest head).

Here is my question. I am not sure how to get the solenoid top off to check these. Problem could be debris or need of replacing diaphragm. I can't find any instructions on teh Rainbird site about how to take these old type valves apart to check.

To further complicate matters, this type in-line valve has been discontinued by Rainbird. However, would the individual components of the newer valves fit this old model?

I am trying to avoid a replacing the entire valve -- would rather replace any defective parts to avoid all the hassle.

It looks like to replace these old ones, I would have to turn the entire valve to unscrew it. This would require my digging more clearance underneath the ground, and, I am not sure how I would change the existing pipes to connect to the new valve type.

Don't know if this makes sense. Help!!
Alton C. Irwin

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 25th 2006, 12:26pm

So dig. Get it over with.

altonirwin

Sunday, June 25th 2006, 1:28pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wet_Boots</i>
<br />So dig. Get it over with.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is your answer supposed to help? The main thing I asking is whether I can avoid digging and replace the deffective parts. What's wrong with that?
Alton C. Irwin

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 25th 2006, 2:17pm

No problem asking. It would help if you had more than a brand name to ask with, since there is a lot of 'home center' Rainbird product with little or no support. If you found your valves on a Rainbird website, and found no parts for them, complete replacement is probably the way to go.

Rate this thread