You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

grey

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 2:04am

How to go about tapping into service line?

My service line is coming into the basement and that's where my water meter is. There is no space after water meter to tap into. The pipe goes into the wall right away. I assume water meter has to be moved and more pipe added to accommodate for that? Who would do that irrigation contractor or water company?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 7:57am

Have a irrigation company come do this for you. Depending on state regs , a plumber may be required for this

Sounds like you'll have to cut your wall out some?

Take a picture and post here

grey

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 4:04pm

I am at Spokane WA so we are neighbors. There is like an inch of space between water meter and the wall. Even if I cut into the wall I don't think there will be enough room.

PS: where can I find codes/regulations regarding sprinkler systems, components like what kind of backflow preventers to use etc.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "grey" (Jun 14th 2011, 4:15pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 5:06pm

Which end is the inlet and which end is the outlet? (I'm sure I know, but never assume)

grey

Advanced Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 8:45pm

Inlet is coming out from basement floor (bottom of the image), outlet going into the wall (right side of the image).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 9:48pm

Any competent plumber can handle that, albeit at the cost of some small amount of drywall.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 12:34am

Any idea how much would it cost me? Approximate number.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 8:06am

Couple of hundred? Depends on how cramped it is, and whether there are 'official' costs involved in moving the meter.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 10:42am

...PS: where can I find codes/regulations regarding sprinkler systems, components like what kind of backflow preventers to use etc.

Call your local Building Safety Department. They should be able to tell you what building codes apply to your area, and possibly even answer questions such as what type of backflow is required in your area for irrigation. Don't be suprised if you discover a building permit is required (often is when ever you are modifing any plumbing/electrical/natural gas/sewage other than replacing a fixture).

The laws, permit requirements, and permit costs vary greatly from city to city. Some will require a certified plumber to make these sorts of connections. Some will allow any industry standard backflow preventer, some will be so restrictive as to codify a part number.

Rate this thread