You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 6:01pm

Filter installation help needed

I am adding a filter to my sprinkler system. Since installing the system I have had a problem with sand stopping up the pop up heads. The water source is a shallow well. The lines are 1" and I was told the pump provides around 20 gpm. The T style filters I have been looking at are fairly long with a drain on the bottom.

If I install a 1-1/2" filter, will I get a higher flow rate? I don't want to lose any volume and minimal pressure.

Also, can I mount the filter almost horizontal (tilted slightly down) so I can easily get to the drain valve? If I mount it vertically, the drain valve would be 1-1/2 to 2 feet below the ground and would be hard to get to.

From my reading, I assume I need a 100 mesh filter. I am looking at the ones at the link below. Are these good filters? If not, can anyone suggest better ones?

link to Filters

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 6:30pm

If you are collecting a lot of sand, you will have to live with a highly visible T-filter, so it works according to mfr instructions. For 20 gpm, the 1-1/2 inch size is worth the extra expense

Sunday, July 3rd 2011, 6:54pm

Thanks. I have not seen any instructions yet. Will they state it should be mounted vertically? It is almost 16" long so i was trying to figure out an easy way to see/clean the filter. I am in the deep south so freezing isn't really an issue. Could I tee up above ground, install the filter and then tee back down? Would that cause a loss in pressure or flow? It would not be easily seen so that isn't a problem.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 4th 2011, 8:46am

Sure, you can elbow up and back down

Monday, July 4th 2011, 9:02am

Thank you. I will order it today. I am curious though...is there a problem with mounting it at a slight downward angle (maybe 20 or 30 degrees) as opposed to vertically? I assumed the water has to go thru the filter no matter what angle and I would just have to make sure the angle was sufficient for all the water to flow out of the drain.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I am new to the site but spent a few hours on it and have already learned a lot.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 4th 2011, 10:14am

Trust us - don't get creative - straight up and down

Monday, July 4th 2011, 10:23am

Will do! Thanks...