You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dandy

Saturday, June 25th 2011, 2:42pm

Zone 5 in my sprinkler system is on continuously

Zone 5 in my sprinkler system is on continuously as soon as I turn the water on to the system ... even when the clock is in the OFF position (and) even when the clock is unplugged (and) even when the wires to the valve are unwired. I have replaced the valve twice. All this and zone 5 runs continuously regardless of any clock setting ... when the water is turned on ... zone 5 becomes active. TOTAL MYSTERY ...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 25th 2011, 2:53pm

Maybe you replaced the wrong valve. There could even be an instance of one zone being fed from two valves.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 1:14am

This sounds very familiar.

mike1059

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 8:42pm

locating proper valve

wet-boots is likely right. I have seen both cases. What you need to do is turn the main on then go to each valve and you should beable to feel the vibration of the water thru the bad valve. This is the one that you need to replace.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 7:05pm

stuck zone

so two things cause stuck zones,faulty clock sending voltage while off,in which case unplugging clock shuts it off. yours must be the other cause which is water shuts it off. the best way to find the correct zone,in the box when the valve is stuck,turn on another zone, if all the water is comming out of that 1 stuck valve,and then you bleed on another valve that isnt stuck,the pressure will drop on the sticking zone,because now your sending some of the stuck zones water out another source. so if you opened up the valve box and saw 5 valves, and 1 of them is stuck,you turn on a zone while the stuck zone is on,and the pressure drops on the stuck one,then thats not the valve,you shut that one,turn on the next one in line pressure drops,not it,turn on the next one and the pressure stays the same on the stuck one or increases,this is your zone. shut off main,bleed on a few valves to get rid of water in main line,probably a good idea too just in case you do have the right zone,dig out from around all the valves so you can open the valve up,and turn the main on for like 1 second to flush anything out,your not opening the valve with the water on so there could be a rock in there,it just keeps falling into valve body or pipe once water is off.
find the valve that doesnt make the pressure drop on the stuck zone and that is definately your bad valve,or valve with a rock in it. change it out and your all set.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 2:19am

Serivce tech!

Welcome to the Forums!

To be honest it's really hard to read your run on sentences , in all of your post.. Your idea's may make sense in your head, but when you explain your reasoning in run on sentences it makes no sense.

In the tech world- a quicker way to find which valve is stuck on is to have a remote> wire trace ( and or locate all exposed valve boxes) > use the remote to hear for the click for the solenoid and or test for voltage at this valve with the remote. Or listen acoustically, which is my preference. If the valve has a Flow Control you can fully confirm by turning the FC down

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 6:18pm

Thanks,ya they are run ons lol,i use remotes and wiretrackers but he wont be using those,ill work on my run ons though lol.this site is pretty cool,ive been wandering if there was a site like this for a while.
off topic,where are you guys from boots and mitchgo, im from marshfield MA.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "servicetechMA" (Jul 9th 2011, 6:30pm)

Rate this thread