You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 2:40pm

That is definitely not banging. You just have a noisy water meter. You may find that your water purveyor doesn't care if the noise bugs you or not. But you might wheedle a meter replacement from them, but don't expect it to make a great difference.

If you had real pipe banging you would run for cover - it is that far beyond what you have. 8|

brisk

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 4:18pm

Ah.... so this is a non-issue and I can just ignore it? Is this the water meter? see pic below:

If it is water meter, why I don't hear the noise from it, instead the noise is about 3-4 feet above it?

Sorry, I have too many questions!

thanks
That is definitely not banging. You just have a noisy water meter. You may find that your water purveyor doesn't care if the noise bugs you or not. But you might wheedle a meter replacement from them, but don't expect it to make a great difference.

If you had real pip
e banging you would run for cover - it is that far beyond what you have. 8|

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 6:49pm

Trust me - non-banging is a non-issue. If the pipe is not in any way loose, then what the hey where you believe the noise is coming from. (especially since we aren't seeing a view of it) Get a stethoscope if you need a hobby listening to pipe noises.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 11:32pm

After watching the video and not reading boots posts before - My thought exactly was a loud ass water meter echoing through your pipe.. That doesn't really sound like banging- sounds like the water meter gears

I would see if you could get your meter replaced.

I can't explain why you are not hearing at exactly at the meter- my guess the sound is echoing through the pipe

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 11:36pm

Try reproducing this by turning on all your hose bibs-- it may not be as apparent because the hose bibs usually create a lot of noise.

brisk

Friday, July 15th 2011, 9:26am

Thanks Mitchgo/Wet_boots.

I will try to reproduce it as soon as I get home.
Now I feel better because:

1: you are telling me that not to worry about it, and it won't break the pipe
2: my neighbor has the exact same noise, and he has had his system for 10+ years.

If the water meter is not going to break, I really don't want to replace the meter, because my basement is finished, in order to reach the meter, I have demolish a piece of drywall and patch it back, paint it again, too much work!

But thanks for all the good suggestions!
Try reproducing this by turning on all your hose bibs-- it may not be as apparent because the hose bibs usually create a lot of noise.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 15th 2011, 11:09am

Frankly, the drywall concerns fall into the "tough noogies" file, because water meter access is not yours to impede. If the water company wants to switch meters, they get to do so even at the cost (all yours) of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on your finished basement. Consider modifications to allow easy swapping of meters.

brisk

Friday, July 15th 2011, 1:44pm

Thanks for reminding me Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a really SCARY movie! :-)

Frankly, the drywall concerns fall into the "tough noogies" file, because water meter access is not yours to impede. If the water company wants to switch meters, they get to do so even at the cost (all yours) of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre on your finished basement. Consider modifications to allow easy swapping of meters.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 8:59pm

I should be more precise about meter access - water companies don't cut away wood or drywall. They just arrange matters so that the homeowner gets it done, because that is so very much preferable to what can happen when the wheels of bureaucracy start turning.

Rate this thread