You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pdfortune

Starting Member

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 7:21pm

Converting Toro heads to Rainbird.

My yard has a combination of Toro and Rainbird heads. It wasn't my doing. I bought the house this way. I have 8 sprinkler zones that are never one brand of head. Is there any way to convert (adapter?) the Toro so I can use Rainbird heads? I bought rotating heads and the Rainbird has a great flow while the Toro barely comes out. I don't want to dig up my yard an replace pipe. Thanks in advance .

Paul

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, July 25th 2011, 7:37am

Dig up the Toro heads and you should find a standard 3/4" male threaded adapter that is already in the ground. Unscrew the old toro and screw on the new rainbird.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, July 25th 2011, 5:54pm

Thats exactly what you want to do. If you are doing a bunch of them 10+ or so. The toro heads are almost 2x the size of a rainbird 5000,they also have a nipple type extension on the base where the threads are. The rainbird head also has this extension. The reason i say this is that you can unscrew and remove the toro head,it will leave a perfect hole where the head was,Being that the Rainbird head is skinnier,just drop the head right down the hole,it usually finds the Fitting at the bottom of the hole without having to center the head perfectly. DROP IT SLOWLY
When you go up to the head,dig a circle around the head, probably like 4'' away from the head in a circle,so you get a piece of grass the size of a dinner plate.With the head being in the middle,then dig out a little dirt around the head so you can get your hands around it to twist it off the fitting. Then wiggle the head around to compact the soil,not always needed but I would definately recommend that you do it,your not trying to muscle the head,just compact the dirt going up the shaft.Then once you wiggle it a little bit,push down all the dirt around the head with your hands,basically under the circle of grass you just cut out,this prevents dirt from falling down the hole into the elbow,which is where it always goes lol. Take any small rocks away from hole. Those of us who do it everyday can replace 20 heads in about 5 minutes,you should just take it slow. And if you dont have a ton of heads to change out,just dig em up probably,but definately try the quick change,its fairly easy. When you are dropping the Rainbird head into the hole,do it slowly so you dont hit the sides,and just put it right in the center of the hole,screw it down when it hits the elbow,and you should be all set. You should be able to do this. Keep in mind that the Toro head might be a tiny bit shorter in height than the rainbird,but usually old heads are overgrown enough to compensate for any difference in height between the 2 heads. Good luck.
This is completely impossible if you ever use Hunter PGPS, This same nipple type extension on the bottom of Toro and Rainbird Rotors,doesnt exist on hunter,if you look at the rainbird you will see what i mean. There is the bottom of the shaft then a 1'' x1'' extension on it,The bottom of a hunter is totally flat,so it will never reach the threads on the elbow because it is surrounded by dirt left by this extension, Plus the rainbird is skinnier than a hunter anyways. You probably dont need to know this lol,but you never know.
With the rainbird rotors set your left side,you can also just turn the rubber head to set your left,without the head being on,which is one of the most convienent features amongst heads. Dont try it with it on though it will click and will throw off your adjustment. Also Rain birds have a tendency to go somtimes 3-4 ft past where you think it is set to, I.E you physically turn the head until it stops while adjusting,then it drenches your garage until you re-adjust it.so just turn the turret or top until its almost at its stop points,then let it take itsself the rest of the way if adjustment is important. Also if you are changing heads along a tar drive way, and the head is 1 ft or more away from tar with grass behind head,you will have dead spots at every single head if you dont throw into driveway a little,unless heads are spaced where they can get behind the next head in line,if not over adjustment and wasting a little water is necessary.obv this is not the right thing to do and you should just move the head with a funny coupling and some funny pipe,and move it to the edge,no water wasted,but you still want a little extra water along the edge of tar, Youve walked on hot tar before im sure,well grass really hates 150 degree tar lol.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "servicetechMA" (Jul 25th 2011, 8:06pm)

Rate this thread