You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, July 25th 2011, 1:03pm

New Home: No water to system and not working

My family recently moved into a new house (new to us) which has a sprinkler system that appears to have only one zone. I plugged in the control panel (in garage) and tested it out to see how it worked. Nothing. So, I went around to the side of the house where some of the pipes are exposed. Feeling them, they seem too light, like there is no water inside, so I have a feeling that somewhere is a valve to turn ON the water for the spinkler system, but I have no clue where this would be.

Or, does the image I have shown of the pipes have a valve on it to turn on the water to the system?

Thanks!

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, July 25th 2011, 3:41pm

Go in the basement and follow where the pvc enters the house and you may see a valve.

If you don't have the manual for the controller, you need to get one.

Outside on the valve seems you may have a manual on and off. Try it once the water is on.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, July 25th 2011, 6:08pm

Open up the controller face,see how many colored wires, are wired up in there. It will look pretty empty with only 1 zone. If you have several then that valve pictured could be a master valve,it could possibly be faulty,bad solenoid or somthing,it would open though if you turn bleeder or solenoid. If you get confused about the main water valve in the house. Have somone outside,while you are inside,while you are standing right where the pipe would enter the house. Have them tap on it,its usually obvious but definately not always. If its pvc dont tap on it with metal obviousely,use the rubber handles of a wrench or somthing. And also when you find this pipe inside,track it back to a valve somwhere that will look like a " T " the top of this T is the water pipe,the vertical line is the handle of the ball valve,all pipes that are ON will have the handle running in line,horizontally with the pipe,while any valve that is OFF,the handle will cut across it vertically,up and down. As if it is blocking the water,which it is of course. youll find it. You could have a seperate meter for the irrigation or somthing also,thats pretty common,in shich case there could be 2 valves to turn on.

Monday, July 25th 2011, 8:39pm

Open up the controller face,see how many colored wires, are wired up in there. It will look pretty empty with only 1 zone. If you have several then that valve pictured could be a master valve,it could possibly be faulty,bad solenoid or somthing,it would open though if you turn bleeder or solenoid. If you get confused about the main water valve in the house. Have somone outside,while you are inside,while you are standing right where the pipe would enter the house. Have them tap on it,its usually obvious but definately not always. If its pvc dont tap on it with metal obviousely,use the rubber handles of a wrench or somthing. And also when you find this pipe inside,track it back to a valve somwhere that will look like a " T " the top of this T is the water pipe,the vertical line is the handle of the ball valve,all pipes that are ON will have the handle running in line,horizontally with the pipe,while any valve that is OFF,the handle will cut across it vertically,up and down. As if it is blocking the water,which it is of course. youll find it. You could have a seperate meter for the irrigation or somthing also,thats pretty common,in shich case there could be 2 valves to turn on.

Thanks, the pipes are next to my garage, so inside there are no valves to turn on, only the control panel is there. I am wondering if I am going to need to dig around the pipes to see where they go. Went under the house as well and the on valve is not there either.

I have turned no the valve that is directly on the pipes, but nothing happened even after waiting a while.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 8:42am

Start at your water meter and work back toward the outside valve. Looks like you have at least 5 or 6 wires going to the controller. Assuming the two black ones are for power. So the valve you see could be the master valve as stated by servicetechMA. Go around the property and look for a valve box dug in the ground. Many have a green top. Also seems like a fairly new system so once you find the water cutoff you might be up and running with few other problems.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 9:39am

If that antisyphon valve is the master valve, then you don't have any real backflow protection.

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 10:31am

If that antisyphon valve is the master valve, then you don't have any real backflow protection.

What is backflow protection?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 11:39am

Answers are location-specific. What is your location?

Matt Dildy

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:30pm

oh boy

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 8:08pm

Ok, after looking again at the exposed pipes that I can see, I am wondering if the system even ever had the water hooked up. I see two capped off pipes. Take a look and let me know what you think:

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Rate this thread