You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

veidtmeister

Friday, July 29th 2011, 2:02pm

Terminal is always hot...

Bought a refurbished board and controller from Irritrol ("Total Control"), but when I check for voltage when the controller is in the "rain off" position, Im getting 24V coming into the controller, and 0 volts at every terminal except for terminal #6, which is reading like 21.5V...at all times...

Is this a bad board?

It shouldnt be hot all the time???

veidtmeister

Friday, July 29th 2011, 4:26pm

Hmmm....

Anybody???

I called controller repair at Irritrol, and the service guy is stumped. For one thing, I dont think he believes me...then he tells me that all of the terminals are supposed to be hot....then he asks me which station it is...then he tells me he could "test one of ours and see if it does the same thing..."

not exactly garnering a lot of confidence in Irritrol, to be honest.

so...Im sitting here waiting for him to call me back, and probably tell me he has no idea why its hot, and then he'll probably tell me "don't worry about it..."

and then six months from now when my warranties up, I'll call them again, and they'll say....TOUGH SHI%....

:cursing:

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 29th 2011, 4:53pm

probably just ghost voltage

some controllers put out voltage to all ports but not enough to activate the solenoid until it is told to do so

why did you get a refurbed controller?

veidtmeister

Friday, July 29th 2011, 5:10pm

ghost voltage? 22V? and only one terminal....? idk...sounds like a fubar'd board tbh.

Sent in an old James Hardie that got fried..they then told me they had 100$ repair minimum, and just by coincidence, they could send me a Total Control that was refurbished for like 125$.

I thought..hell...why not, its a better controller (old one didnt have surge protection), and I get a warranty...

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 10:57am

Some controllers put out 22v across the board while inactive. A single valve? Could be an issue but I'm saying it's not much of a worry. The refurb was it just a faceplate swap or the board on the back as well?

Replace your controller if you are worried about it then

Weathermatic SL 1600 with weatherstation ( Module if needed )

Rain Bird ESPM-SMT with weatherstation ( Module if needed )

Hunter ICC with Weatherstation and Wind Anemometer ( Module if needed )

Internet based pc controlled with remote control Timer

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 11:02am

modern multimeters sometimes make for meaningless voltage readings - connect a solenoid to that terminal you believe is hot

veidtmeister

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 3:22pm

doubt its supposed to energize just one terminal, and kinda doubt its a meaningless reading, or anomoly, as its always the same terminal, and always 21.5V...which wouldnt cause a solenoid to trip btw....

dont know what kinda refurb it was, it wasnt my controller, but I assume it was a board replacement.

Anyway, I called Irritrol's controller repair, and they hadn't a clue, and were supposed to "check into it" (whatever that means), and call me back...

still waiting.... :P

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 30th 2011, 4:55pm

stop blabbing and follow instructions - see if the supposedly-hot terminal is capable of activating a solenoid

veidtmeister

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 12:39pm

dont think I was babbling....I tried to make it clear that it Does NOT activate the solenoid...at least not until called for by the controller...but it IS always supplying about 21-22 volts, even with the "rainoff" selected...

when its called by the controller, voltage jumps to 26.5...so I got the valve working after vampiring parts and a solenoid from another valve, but theres still this voltage anomoly, which while it may not directly affect that one valve, could potentially be a problem as the transformer only provides so much power...so....just sayin

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 3:08pm

You absolutely did not make it clear that the "supposedly hot" terminal was not capable of energizing a solenoid while the zone was not activated. The voltage reading is not an issue. Modern multimeters draw so small an amount of power that their voltage readings can be completely meaningless.

Find something else to worry about. :thumbdown:

Rate this thread