You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsharkbait

Unregistered

Monday, August 1st 2011, 6:46pm

how to tell which valve is bad

Hi all. Hoping to find an answer to my problem here.

I have a zone in my system which has 5 heads in it. I found that when the zone turns off, water continues to bubble, not spray from 3 of the heads in the zone. I cut power to the controller and turned my water supply off. When the supply is off the weeping stops, but when there's pressure in the system, they weep.

I've replaced the diaphram and solenoid in one valve thinking it was the culprit, but apparently not. How do I tell which of the 3 valves in the box is the cause of the problem without having to rebuild them all?

Thanks

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 7:18pm

Alright,if you have no idea where the other valve boxes are,a master valve would be your best bet.
But, if you go up to we will say a 5 valve,valve box. One of them is certainly weeping,and you know that it is. You want to get that valve to weap,however it has done it before,be it after the clock shuts them off,or after you bleed it on and it doesnt fully close. Once the valve is weeping,start opening valves until the heads that are pissing out from the weaping valve,turn on full blast.Thats your valve.
if you have seen the heads weep,then you know which ones weap and you dont need to get it to weep. just turn on valves until those heads turn on. If they dont,you are in the wrong valve box for sure. Start hunting for another box,mulch bed edges,right outside the backflow,indents in the yard... It could also have a rock in the valve. keep that in mind. As soon as you shut the water off,it falls out of sight,you close the valve back up after replacement,and then the rock lodges in again.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "servicetechMA" (Aug 1st 2011, 7:24pm)

mrfixit

Monday, August 1st 2011, 11:09pm

Check the seat for pits or a crack. You may have to replace the whole valve.

Rate this thread