You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

sammyboy

Unregistered

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 10:22am

valve wont open unless both solenoid is energized and bleed valve is opened

I have an old sprikler unit which was present when the home was purchased. I cannot tell the manufacturer. It is a 4 zone system with a single valve and solenoid controlled by the timer. The transformer in the timer fried so I installed a new timer, 115VAC with a 24VAC output from the transformer. I also replaced the solenoid with one bought at Home Depot for about $7 dollars. Finished the wiring and turned the power on. The solenoid appeared to be working, however, the valve does not open, that is until I also open the manual bleed. Then water begins to flow, but it seems like the water is going through more than one zone, as the sprinklers are not flowing at full strength and water is coming from heads not zoned together. When power to the solenoid is turned off, the flow stops as it should, even with the manual bleed still open. In fact, opening the manual bleed by itself will not cause the valve to open. The solenoid must also be powered to open the valve. But with the bleed closed and the solenoid powered, the valve will not open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 12:00pm

This sounds like a master valve situation. did you put a wire in the MV terminal in the clock. If you didnt and you need to have power going to solenoid,and bleed open a valve,to get it to work. There is somthing seriousely wrong. post back about the master valve before I can even think of somthing else, to tell you to try lol.

If you walk up to any valve in the yard,with the clock off,and a master valve installed somwhere. Any valve you turn on manually will not work.Unless master valve is bled open. If you turn the clock on however,the master valve will turn on,and will allow water to pass through it.And you will be able to bleed on any valve you wish. If you have 4 zones like you said. There should be 6 wires in the clock,that are being used that is. 4 wires for zones,1 for common,and 1 for master valve.

Your post had me a little confused though,a 4 zone system doesnt have 1 valve,unless of course you dont know where the 4 zone valves are,and you are messing with said master valve lol. The phrase

"Then water begins to flow, but it seems like the water is going through more than one zone, as the sprinklers are not flowing at full strength and water is coming from heads not zoned together"

" It is a 4 zone system with a single valve and solenoid controlled by the timer"

If it was a single zone system,with 1 valve,all heads would always run at the same time,no exceptions. You could be turning on the master valve,and have 4 stuck valves,or 4 bled open valves. Really dont know. Sounds like you may need to find 4 valves.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "servicetechMA" (Aug 7th 2011, 12:07pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 2:36pm

Sounds like a bad diaphragm to me.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 7:08pm

ya i have seen that once,no matter what the valve wouldnt open.couldnt pry the valve apart with a big screwdriver even,this usually happens with wells that have alot of sediment,as was this one. But is it possible you put the valve in wrong somhow.